Feb. 24, 2013
NORMAN, Okla. -- The No. 9 University of Oklahoma men's tennis team (8-2) defeated No. 14 Texas A&M (8-4), 5-2, Sunday, Feb. 24, in College Station, Texas.
"We did a great job competing and executing against a very good A&M team today," OU head coach John Roddick said.
In their first outdoor match of the spring season, the Sooners jumped to a quick lead.
OU snatched the first team point after Peerakit Siributwong and Lawrence Formentera, and Guillermo Alcorta and Axel Alvarez Llamas both won their doubles matches 8-6.
"Our doubles was outstanding and that really got us off to a good start," Roddick said.
Alcorta and Siributwong helped extend the lead by beating their opponents 6-1, 6-3 and 6-2, 6-4, respectively.
Leonard Stakhovsky sealed the win for OU, defeating Jackson Withrow 6-4, 6-3.
"It was good to see Leo close out the match today," Roddick said. "He did a great job of closing out his match."
The Sooners continue their road stretch next weekend. They play No. 31 Wake Forest Friday, March 1, at 5 p.m. in Winston-Salem, N.C., and then face No. 1 Virginia Sunday, March 3, at 12 p.m. in Charlottesville, Va.
Follow @OU_Tennis on Twitter and like Oklahoma Men's Tennis on Facebook for more information on the men's tennis program.
Oklahoma 5, Texas A&M 2
1. Paval/Webb (OU) vs. Adams/Vinsant (A&M), 7-6 (dnf)
2. Alcorta/Alvarez-Llamas (OU) def. Ore/Withrow (A&M), 8-6
3. Siributwong/Formentera (OU) def. Efferding/Szabo (A&M), 8-6
Order of finish: 3, 2
1. Costin Paval (OU) def. Junior Ore (A&M), 6-4, 6-2
2. Guillermo Alcorta (OU) def. Jeremy Efferding (A&M), 6-1, 6-3
3. Harry Adams (A&M) def. Dane Webb (OU), 6-4, 6-4
4. Shane Vinsant (A&M) def. Axel Alvarez-Llamas (OU), 1-6, 6-1, 6-0
5. Leonard Stakhovsky (OU) def. Jackson Withrow (A&M), 6-4, 6-3
6. Peerakit Siributwong (OU) def. Jordan Szabo (A&M), 6-2, 6-4
Order of finish: 2, 6, 5*, 4, 3, 1