April 14, 2013
NORMAN, Okla. -- The No. 12 University of Oklahoma men's tennis team defeated No. 44 Texas Tech, 5-2, Sunday, April 14, in Lubbock, Texas.
"We did a great job today bouncing back and dealing with really tough conditions," OU head coach John Roddick said. "Our doubles was solid and we played some very good singles in some spots. Now it's time for Bedlam."
The Sooners (16-6, 3-1 Big 12) began the match by winning the doubles team point.
The duo of Costin Paval and Dane Webb beat Jeff Bryan and Felipe Soares, 8-2. This was followed by an 8-5 win on Court 3 from Lawrence Formentera and Leonard Stakhovsky.
The Red Raiders (15-8, 1-2 Big 12) tied the match to start singles after Soares upset No. 38 Guillermo Alcorta, 6-2, 6-2.
Oklahoma regained the lead quickly with wins at the No. 6 and No. 1 positions. First, Stakhovsky topped Bryan 6-2, 6-2. This was followed shortly by a 6-1, 6-3 win from Paval over Vitor Manzini.
Dane Webb clinched the match for the Sooners after he beat Raphael Pfister 6-2, 6-4.
The final two points were given due to retirements. Axel Alvarez Llamas won his match after Hugo Dojas retired, and Peerakit Siributwong retired on Court 5, giving Texas Tech its second point.
The Sooners return to Norman for their last regular season match of the season. OU faces in-state rival Oklahoma State on senior day Sunday, April 21, at 1 p.m.
Follow @OU_Tennis on Twitter and like Oklahoma Men's Tennis on Facebook for more information about the men's tennis program.
Oklahoma 5, Texas Tech 2
1. No. 27 Webb/Paval (OU) def. Jeff Bryan/Felipe Soares (TT), 8-2
2. Pfister/Dojas (TT) vs. No. 75 Alcorta/Alvarez Llamas (OU), 8-7 (dnf)
3. Formentera/Stakhovsky (OU) def. Manzini/Zambon (TT), 8-5
Order of finish: 1, 3
1. No. 23 Costin Paval (OU) def. Vitor Manzini (TT), 6-1, 6-3
2. Felipe Soares (TT) def. No. 38 Guillermo Alcorta (OU), 6-2, 6-2
3. No. 53 Dane Webb (OU) def. Raphael Pfister (TT), 6-2, 6-4
4. Axel Alvarez Llamas (OU) def. Hugo Dojas (TT), 7-6 (7-4), 1-1 (ret.)
5. Francisco Zambon (TT) def. Peerakit Siributwong, (OU) 7-5, 0-1 (ret.)
6. Leonard Stakhovsky (OU) def. Jeff Bryan (TT), 6-2, 6-2
Order of finish: 2, 6, 1, 3*, 4, 5