March 28, 2013
NORMAN, Okla. -- The No. 11 University of Oklahoma men's tennis team swept No. 37 San Diego, 7-0, Thursday, March 28, at the Headington Family Tennis Pavilion.
"We played a very complete match today for the first time in a while," OU head coach John Roddick said. "San Diego is a tough team and I was proud of the way we competed."
The Sooners (12-5) began the match by winning a tight doubles point over the Toreros (11-7).
On Court 2, No. 71 Guillermo Alcorta and Axel Alvarez Llamas started strong, winning the first match of the day against Romain Kalaydjian and Uros Petronijevic, 8-1.
Lawrence Formentera and Nick Papac snatched the first team point for OU after they beat Ciaran Fitzgerald and Victor Pugliese, 9-7.
The Sooners carried their momentum into singles.
Alcorta defeated San Diego's only ranked player, No. 78 Clarke Spinosa 6-1, 6-3 to extend OU's lead.
Shortly after that, No. 30 Costin Paval overcame a 0-3 deficit in his first set to win his match at the No. 1 position 6-4, 6-0.
Alvarez Llamas claimed the win for the Sooners after he defeated Uros Petronijevic 7-5, 6-1.
Nick Papac extended OU's lead to 5-0 with a win at the No. 6 position. Dane Webb followed that with a win on Court 3, winning the only match of the night that went to three sets.
Peerakit Siributwong completed the Sooners' sweep by defeating Victor Pugliese 6-3, 7-5 at the No. 5 position.
The Sooners stay home for an Easter afternoon match against No. 69 Sunday, March 31, at 1 p.m.
Follow @OU_Tennis and like Oklahoma Men's Tennis on Facebook for more information about the men's tennis program.
Oklahoma 7, San Diego 0
1. Spinosa/Visy (SD) def. No. 29 Paval/Webb (OU), 8-7 (5)
2. No. 71 Alcorta/Alvarez Llamas (OU) def. Kalaydjian/Petronijevic (SD), 8-1
3. Formentera/Papac (OU) def. Fitzgerald/Pugliese (SD), 9-7
Order of finish: 2, 3, 1
1. No. 30 Costin Paval (OU) def. Thibaut Visy (SD), 6-4, 6-0
2. No. 51 Guillermo Alcorta (OU) def. No. 78 Clarke Spinosa (SD), 6-1, 6-3
3. No. 61 Dane Webb (OU) def. Romain Kalaydjian (SD), 2-6, 6-3, 6-3
4. Axel Alvarez Llamas (OU) def. Uros Petronijevic (SD), 7-5, 6-1
5. Peerakit Siributwong (OU) vs. Victor Pugliese (SD), 6-3, 7-5
6. Nick Papac (OU) vs. Ciaran Fitzgerald (SD), 7-6 (1), 6-2
Order of finish: 2, 1, 4*, 6, 3, 5