Jan. 22, 2013
NORMAN, Okla. -- The No. 8 University of Oklahoma men's tennis team (1-0) won its spring opener, defeating Wichita State (0-1), 7-0, Tuesday at the Gregg Wadley Indoor Tennis Pavilion.
"It's actually the first time we're ranked this high and it's an advantage for us for the first time because we get to host the region for the national indoors," senior Costin Paval said. "Of course, we don't want to get ahead of ourselves. Obviously there's a downside to this because other teams will compete harder just because we're [ranked highly]. It's all about execution and controlling the things you can control."
The Sooners won the doubles point against the Shockers with wins at the No. 2 and No. 3 positions.
At the No. 3 position, Peerakit Siributwong and Leonard Stakhovsky got the first win for the Sooners, defeating Alvaro Gutierrez and Erick Reyes 8-2.
OU's No. 2 position, ITA No. 32 Guillermo Alcorta and Axel Alvarez Llamas clinched the doubles win for the Sooners, beating Tin Ostojic and Matheus Pereira 8-4.
"The first match of the year is always hard and we always have that match after a pretty long layoff," head coach John Roddick said. "So it's always a tough night no matter what just because you haven't played live matches for a couple of months. But getting it out of the way and problems and seeing things that we need to focus on is always nice."
OU collected six points in singles play.
In the No. 2 position, ITA No. 36 Alcorta collected the first win for the Sooners, topping Ilija Cuic 6-3, 6-3.
ITA No. 71 Dane Webb clinched the win for the Sooners, topping Tomislav Gregurovic 6-5, 6-3.
Freshman Axel Alvarez Llamas and Erick Reyes battled it out to three sets, with Llamas prevailing 6-2, 6-7 (5), 6-1 to get the win.
OU continues home play this weekend. The Sooners host Memphis, Harvard and Notre Dame in the ITA Kick-Off Tournament Saturday, Jan. 26, and Sunday, Jan. 27, at the Gregg Wadley Indoor Tennis Pavilion.
Oklahoma 7, Wichita State 0
1. No. 12 Paval/Webb (OU) vs. Cuic/Gregurovic 6-5 (WSU), (dnf)
2. No. 32 Alcorta/Alvarez (OU) def. Ostojic/Pereira (WSU), 8-4
3. Siributwong/Stakhovsky (OU) def. Gutierrez/Reyes (WSU), 8-2
Order of finish: 3, 2
1. No. 103 Costin Paval (OU) def. Matheus Pereira (WSU), 6-0, 6-3
2. No. 36 Guillermo Alcorta (OU) def. Ilija Cuic (WSU), 6-3, 6-3
3. No. 71 Dane Webb (OU) def. Tomislav Gregurovic (WSU), 7-5 (4), 6-3
4. Axel Alvarez Llamas (OU) def. Erick Reyes 6-2, 6-7 (5), 6-1
5. Peerakit Siributwong (OU) def. Tin Ostojic (WSU) 7-6 (4), 6-4
6. Leonard Stakhovsky (OU) def. Alvaro Gutierrez (WSU) 6-1, 7-6
Order of finish: 2, 1, 3*, 6, 5, 4