Jan. 26, 2013
NORMAN, Okla. -- The No. 8 University of Okahoma men's tennis team (2-0) beat No. 30 Memphis (1-1) 4-0 Saturday at the Gregg Wadley Indoor Tennis Pavilion, advancing to the championship match of the ITA Kick-Off Weekend.
"We played very well today against a tough Memphis team," OU head coach John Roddick said. "We had a couple lapses that we will try to eliminate as we play more matches. Overall, I was very pleased with our level and we competed. We are looking forward to a tough test against a very good Harvard team tomorrow."
The Sooners won all the first two doubles matches against the Tigers, claiming the doubles point. OU's No. 1 tandem of Costin Paval and Dane Webb clinched the doubles win for OU by defeating Memphis's Connor Glennon and Cedric DeZutter 8-4.
OU collected three points in singles play, winning the match for the Sooners.
In the No. 3 position, ITA No. 71 Dane Webb claimed the first win for the Sooners, topping Lukas Vrnak 6-2, 6-3.
Peerakit Siributwong got the next point for OU, beating David O'Leary 6-0, 6-1.
No. 103 Costin Paval clinched the win for the Sooners, defeating Connor Glennon 6-3, 6-2.
Earlier Saturday, No. 28 Harvard topped No. 31 Notre Dame, 4-3.
OU faces No. 28 Harvard in the championship match of the ITA Kick-Off Weekend Sunday at 12 p.m. Memphis and Notre Dame face each other in the consolation match 9 a.m.
Follow @OU_Tennis on Twitter and like Oklahma Men's Tennis on Facebook for more information on the men's tennis program.
Oklahoma 4, Memphis 0
1. Paval/Webb (OU) def. Glennon/DeZutter (Memphis), 8-6
2. Alcorta/Alvarez Llamas (OU) def. O'Leary/Salisbury (Memphis), 8-4
3. Siributwong/Stakhovsky (OU) vs. O'Hare/Vrnak (Memphis), 8-6 (dnf)
Order of finish: 2, 1
1. Costin Paval (OU) def. Connor Glennon (Memphis), 6-3, 6-2
2. Guillermo Alcorta (OU) vs. Joe Salisbury (Memphis), 7-5, 3-5 (dnf)
3. Dane Webb (OU) def. Lukas Vrnak (Memphis), 6-2, 6-3
4. Axel Alvarez Llamas (OU) vs. Johnny Grimal (Memphis), 6-4, 5-3 (dnf)
5. Peerakit Siributwong (OU) def. David O'Leary (Memphis), 6-0, 6-1
6. Leonard Stakhovsky (OU) vs. David O'Hare (Memphis), 7-6 (2), 1-3 (dnf)
Order of finish: 3, 5, 1*