FORT WORTH, Texas—The No. 3 Oklahoma men’s tennis team notched a 4-2 victory over TCU Friday, April 25, at the Bayard H. Friedman Tennis Center in the first round of the Big 12 Championships.
“I thought TCU played a really good match," OU head coach John Roddick said. "You can see by the score line it was highly competitive. My hat goes off to their effort. Our guys did a good job at the end pulling it out, which we’ve done a lot of times this year. I am proud of the effort but I would like to see them do a few things differently moving forward.”
TCU took the doubles point, taking down the Sooners on courts one and three. Senior Guillermo Alcorta and sophomore Axel Alvarez won the only doubles match for the Sooners with an 8-7 victory on court two.
Junior Dane Webb tied the match early in singles play with a 6-2, 6-4 victory over Rodolfo Bustamante on court four. Freshman Alex Ghilea gave the Sooners their first lead of the match with a 6-2, 6-2 victory on court six.
Alcorta fell 6-2, 7-6 to Nick Chappell on court one to allow TCU to quickly tie the match at 2. Sophomore Austin Siegel earned a straight set victory on court five to give the advantage back to the Sooners.
Clinching the match was Alvarez on court two. After falling in his first set, the sophomore won the second, forcing a third. With the final set tied at 6-all, Alvarez dominated the tiebreaker to win his match 3-6, 6-2, 7-6.
The Sooners will face the Texas Longhorns in the semifinals, Saturday, April 26, at 12 p.m.
OKLAHOMA 4, TCU 2
1. Chappell/Stein (TCU) def. Webb/Harris (OU) 8-5
2. Alvarez/Alcorta (OU) def. Blake/Lugones (TCU) 8-7
3. Dachs/Daniel (TCU) def. Siributwong/ Papac (OU) 8-4
Order of Finish: 3, 2, 1
1. Nick Chappell (TCU) def. Guillermo Alcorta (OU) 6-2, 7-6
2. Axel Alvarez (OU) def. Arnau Dachs (TCU) 3-6, 6-2, 7-6
3. Andrew Harris (OU) v. Facundo Lugones (TCU), unf.
4. Dane Webb (OU) def. Rodolfo Bustamante (TCU) 6-2, 6-4
5. Austin Siegel (OU) def. Trey Daniel (TCU) 6-2, 7-6
6. Alex Ghilea (OU) def. Andres Alfonzo (TCU) 6-2, 6-2
Order of Finish: 4, 6, 1, 5, 2*