NORMAN, Okla.—No.1 Oklahoma clinched its California sweep with a 4-1 victory over No. 46 Pepperdine Wednesday at the Ralph-Straus Tennis Center in Malibu, Calif..
Pepperdine claimed the doubles point, but the Sooners (17-1) collected four straight points in singles play in their first match as the nation’s top-ranked team.
“We did a good job today in singles of getting on top of them early,” OU head coach John Roddick said. “I was happy to see Dane (Webb), Nick (Papac) and Austin (Siegel) really do a good job of not letting Pepperdine get into the match. Axel (Alvarez) was very solid at No. 1 as well.”
Oklahoma defeated then-No. 10 Duke and No. 68 San Diego last weekend in San Diego before claiming the ITA’s No. 1 rating on Tuesday.
In No. 4 singles, Dane Webb earned the first point, defeating Stefan Menichella 6-0, 6-1.
Sophomore Austin Siegel followed with a 6-1, 6-2 win over Alex Giannini.
Senior Nick Papac earned his fourth singles win of the season, beating Pedro Leme 6-4, 6-2.
Playing in the No. 1 position, Axel Alvarez secured the Sooner win, topping Alex Sarkissian 6-3, 6-3.
Up next, Oklahoma begins conference play, Friday, March 26, against Texas in Austin, Texas.
No. 1 Oklahoma 4, No. 46 Pepperdine 1
1. #15 Alex Sarkissian/Francis Alcantara (PEP) def. #37 Dane Webb/Andew Harris (OKU) 8-5
2. Guillermo Alcorta/Axel Alvarez Llamas (OKU) def. Pedro Leme/Alex Giannini (PEP) 8-2
3. Rakshay Thakkar/David Sofaer (PEP) def. Nick Papac/Austin Siegel (OKU) 8-6
Order of finish: 2,1,3
1. #2 Axel Alvarez Llamas (OU) def. #27 Alex Sarkissian (PEP) 6-3, 6-3
2. #5 Guillermo Alcorta (OU) vs. Francis Alcantara (PEP) 6-4, 3-4 dnf
3. #35 Andew Harris (OU) vs. #115 David Sofaer (PEP) 3-6, 5-4 dnf
4. #43 Dane Webb (OU) def. Stefan Menichella (PEP) 6-0, 6-1
5. Nick Papac (OU) def. Pedro Leme (PEP) 6-4, 6-2
6. Austin Siegel (OU) def. Alex Giannini (PEP) 6-1, 6-2
Order of finish: 4,6,5,1*