NORMAN, Okla. – No. 4 Oklahoma extended its home win-streak to nine with a 5-2 win over No. 21 Wake Forest Sunday afternoon at the Headington Family Tennis Center.
“The guys did a good job when they really needed to, but we can’t do that very often,” head coach John Roddick said.
“Wake [Forest] played really well, especially early on in singles. They had a lot more energy than we did, but we did a good job of fighting back and taking care of business when we needed to.”
Sophomore Austin Siegel got the first singles point for OU, dispatching Pedro Dumont 6-2, 6-3.
Despite being down early in both the first and second sets, Alvarez battled back to top Lee 6-3, 6-4, putting the Sooners up 3-0. This match marks Alvarez’s 11th straight singles victory.
“He [Axel] got down in both sets, then he really just took control,” Roddick said.
“He just proved how good of player he is. [Adam] Lee is a very good player and to be able to come from a break down in both sets and win the match fairly handedly is a really solid effort.”
Freshman Andrew Harris also fell behind early in his match, but prevailed over Jon Ho 6-4, 6-4, clinching the Sooner victory.
Papac earned the final OU singles point, defeating Aws Laaribi 7-5, 6-4.
The Sooners earned the doubles point with wins at the No. 1 and 2 positions.
Dane Webb and Andrew Harris got the first win for OU, ousting Romain Bogaerts and Maksim Kan, 8-6.
Axel Alvarez and Guillermo Alcorta secured the doubles point with a 8-5 victory over Adam Lee and Jon Ho.
Up next, the Sooners face the Duke Blue Devils March 15 in San Diego, Calif.
For more on OU men’s tennis, follow @OU_MTennis on Twitter.
Oklahoma 5, Wake Forest 2
1. Romain Bogaerts(WF) def. Guillermo Alcorta 6-2, 7-6 (7-4)
2. Axel Alvarez (OU) def. Adam Lee (WF) 6-3, 6-4
3. Andrew Harris (OU) def, Jon Ho (WF) 6-4, 6-4
4. Maksim Kan (WF) def. Dane Webb (OU) 7-6 (7-0), 2-6, 1-0 (10-3)
5. Nick Papac (OU) def. Aws Laaribi (WF) 7-5, 6-4
6. Austin Siegel (OU) def. Pedro Dumont (WF) 6-2, 6-3
1. Harris/Webb (OU) def. Bogaerts/Kan (WF) 8-6
2. Alcorta/Alvarez (OU) def. Lee/Ho (WF) 8-5
3. Siributwong/Papac (OU) vs. Laaribi/Delcore (WF) 7-7, dnf
Order of Finish
Singles: 6, 2, 3*, 5, 4, 1
Doubles: 1, 2