NORMAN, Okla.—No. 7 Oklahoma fell to the No.2 UCLA Bruins 4-2 in the second round of the International Tennis Association’s National Indoor Championships Saturday.
Despite the loss, head coach John Roddick was proud of his team’s effort.
“We lost a tough one to UCLA today,” Roddick said. “They played a great match and won more big points than we did. Our guys fought really hard, and we won a great doubles point. I was really proud with our effort today.”
The Sooners started off strong, winning the doubles point at the No. 2 and No. 3 positions.
In singles play, UCLA won the first three singles points. In the No.1 position, top-ranked ITA singles player Clay Thompson beat Guillermo Alcorta 6-2, 6-0.
Both UCLA’s Mackenzie McDonald and Jospeh Di Giulio followed suit, ousting Andrew Harris and Peerakit Siributwong 6-5, 6-5 and 6-4, 6-4 respectively.
Junior Dane Webb earned OU’s sole single point, beating Gage Brymer in straight sets 6-5, 6-3.
After losing the first set 2-6, in the No. 5 position, Alex Ghilea fought back to win his second set against Dennis Mkrtchian 6-5. However, the freshman dropped his last set 3-6, securing the UCLA victory.
Up next, Oklahoma plays Baylor Sunday in the tournament’s consolation bracket.
For more on OU men’s tennis follow @OU_MTennis.
UCLA, 4 Oklahoma, 2
1: Dane Webb/Andrew Harris(OU) vs. Marcos Giron/Mackenzie McDonald(UCLA 4-3 dnf
2. Axel Alvarez/Guillermo Alcorta(OU) def. Clay Thompson/Joseph Di Giulio(UCLA) 6-1
3. Peerakit Siributwong/Nick Papac(OU) def. Dennis Mkrtchian/Karue Sell(UCLA) 6-2
Order of finish: 3,2
1.Clay Thompson(UCLA) def. Guillermo Alcorta(OU) 6-2, 6-0
2. Axel Alvarez(OU) vs. Marcos Giron(UCLA) 5-6, 6-4, 2-3 dnf
3. Mackenzie McDonald(UCLA) def. Andrew Harris(OU) 6-5, 6-5
4. Dane Webb(OU) def. Gage Brymer(UCLA) 6-5, 6-3
5. Dennis Mkrtchian(UCLA) def. Alex Ghilea(OU) 6-2, 5-6, 6-3
6. Joseph Di Giulio(UCLA) def. Peerakit Siributwong(OU) 6-4, 6-4
Order of finish: 1, 3, 6, 4, 5*