NORMAN, Okla. — Oklahoma’s Dane Webb rallied from a first-set loss in No. 4 singles to clinch a 4-3 victory over No. 22 Illinois in the International Tennis Association National Team Indoor Championship first round Friday.
“We always talk about doing the right things and I know (Dane) had two or three set points in the first set where he went after it and played aggressive,” OU head coach John Roddick said.
“That’s all we want him to do. He lost them, but that’s fine if you do that. Just keep doing that and it’ll pay off and it did. That’s a great effort to regroup.”
Webb finished Illinois sophomore Brian Page 5-6, 6-4, 6-2 to advance the seventh-ranked Sooners (7-0) to the quarterfinals at the Galleria Tennis and Athletic Club in Houston, Texas.
“I think he had two of those set points on his serve, so to overcome that disappointment is not easy. He understood that he was in control of the match a lot of the time and he didn’t panic.”
Saturday, OU will face the winner of a first-round match between No. 2 UCLA and No. 15 Pepperdine.
Oklahoma faced an uphill battle after losing the doubles point for the first time this season.
ITA No. 2 ranked Guillermo Alcorta also needed three sets to put away eighth-ranked Jared Hiltzik, 6-3, 5-6, 6-4, in No. 1 singles.
Sooners in No. 2 and No. 3 singles each counted 6-4, 6-5 triumphs. No. 4 Axel Alvarez beat 30th-ranked Farris Gosea in No. 2 singles and No. 28 Andrew Harris secured the Sooners’ first point with a win over No. 24 Tim Kopinski.
Oklahoma, 4 Illinois, 3
1. Guillermo Alcorta (OU) def. Jared Hiltzik (Illinois), 6-3, 5-6, 6-4
2. Axel Alvarez (OU) def. Farris Gosea (Illinois), 6-4, 6-5
3. Andrew Harris (OU) def. Tim Kopinski (Illinois), 6-4, 6-5
4. Dane Webb (OU) def. Brian Page (Illinois), 5-6, 6-4, 6-2
5. Blake Bazarnik (Illinois) def. Alex Ghilea (OU), 4-6, 6-1, 6-2
6. Ross Guignon (Illinois) def. Austin Siegel (OU), 6-5, 6-0
1. Kopinski/Guignon (Illinois) def. Harris/Webb(OU), 6-1
2. Hiltzik/Gosea (Illinois) def. Alcorta/Alvarez(OU), 6-3
3. Page/Childers (Illinois) vs. Papac/Siributwong, unfinished