NORMAN, Okla. -- The 19th-ranked University of Oklahoma men's golf team looks to qualify for its fourth straight NCAA Championships when it competes as the No. 3 seed at the NCAA Eugene Regional. The 13-team tournament will be held Thursday-Saturday (May 15-17) at the 6,990-yard, par-70 Eugene Country Club in Eugene, Ore.
The Sooners are coming off a Big 12 Championship where they struggled, finishing in seventh place. OU head coach Ryan Hybl said the team needs to rebound and finish the year strong.
"The top five advance to the NCAA Championships finals, and that's always the elephant in the room is everyone is worried about the top five," Hybl said. "At the end of the day we have to focus on going and playing a solid golf tournament instead of worrying about the top five. We just need to go play good, solid golf."
OU’s lineup will include senior Michael Schoolcraft, juniors Michael Gellerman and Charlie Saxon, sophomore Beau Titsworth and freshman Max McGreevy.
The Sooners will tee off at 10 a.m. CT for Thursday's first round and will be paired with No. 1 seed Stanford and No. 2 seed Houston.
THE FIELD (GOLFWEEK RANKINGS IN PARENTESES)
1. Stanford (4)
2. Houston (9)
3. Oklahoma (19)
4. South Carolina (20)
5. Baylor (26)
6. Liberty (35)
7. Oregon (44)
8. Tennessee (40)
9. North Florida (56)
10. East Tennessee State (57)
11. Chattanooga (60)
12. Wichita State (113)
13. Northern Colorado (137)
1. Cody Blick, San Jose State
2. Kyle Westmoreland, Air Force
3. David Fink, Oregon State
4. Owen Taylor, Sacramento State
5. Byron Meth, Pacific
6. Tyler Torando, Loyola Marymount
7. Alex Wennstam, GRU Augusta
8. Pete Fernandez, UC Irvine
9. Alex Franklin, Oregon State
10. Frederick Wedel, Pepperdine
1. Michael Gellerman, Junior: Won individual title at Wyoming Cowboy Classic with a three-round 204 (-6), his first career victory … Finished in third place at Border Olympics with a three-round 212 (-4) … Took a share of fifth place with a 4-over 217 at UTSA/Oak Hills Invitational ... Has recorded four career top-5 finishes, eight top-10 finishes and 17 top-20 finishes.
2. Michael Schoolcraft, Senior: Recorded career-best finish when he tied for second place at the prestigious Southern Highlands Collegiate Masters with a three-over 219 … Posted a third-place showing at UTSA/Oak Hills Invitational with a 2-over 215 … Finished fifth at Border Olympics with a 215 (-1) … Finished last season with a 72.84 (+1.39) scoring average, second best on team.
3. Beau Titsworth, Sophomore: Placed on Big 12 Championship All-Tournament Team after taking a share of fifth, a career best for team events, with a 290 (+2) ... Also finished in a tie for fifth place with a 217 (+4) competing as an individual at UTSA/Oak Hills Invitational … Placed 10th at Golfweek Conference Challenge with a 1-under 215 … Has recorded 10 career top-20 finishes.
4. Charlie Saxon, Junior: Tied for fourth place, his best in a team event, with a 206 (-4) at Wyoming Cowboy Classic … Took a share of sixth place at Border Olympics with an even-par 216 … Claimed a share of seventh place at Golfweek Conference Challenge after shooting a 214 (-2) … Participated in 2013 Lions Classic, which he won with a two-round 141 (+1).
5. Max McGreevy, Freshman: Earned Big 12 Men’s Golfer of the Month honors for September after being highest finisher for Sooners in first two tournaments … Led the Sooners at the Golfweek Conference Challenge with a three-round 213 (-3) and fifth-place finish in his first collegiate tournament … Won Oklahoma 6A Championship in 2012 and 2013.
The 6,990-yard, par-70 Eugene Country Club serves as the track for the NCAA Eugene Regional.
Fifty-four holes will be played over three days. The first round is scheduled for Thursday, with the Sooners teeing off from hole No. 1 at 10 a.m. CT. OU will be paired with No. 1 seed Stanford and No. 2 seed Houston. After three rounds, the top five teams and the top individual not on those teams will advance to the NCAA Championships at Prairie Dunes Country Club in Hutchinson, Kan., held May 23-28.
Thursday: Partly cloudy with a high of 80 degrees and winds from the west, southwest at 5-10 mph.
Friday: Partly cloudy with a high of 72 degrees and winds from the west, southwest at 5-10 mph.
Saturday: High of 64 degrees with winds from the west at 5-10 mph. Thirty percent chance of showers.
OU’S NCAA REGIONAL HISTORY
Last season, the Sooners advanced to the NCAA Championships finals for the third straight year and the 34th time overall by finishing fifth following a playoff on the 18th hole against South Florida in the Tallahassee Regional in Tallahassee, Fla. At the national tournament in Atlanta, Ga., OU took 11th place for the second straight season.
Live stats will be available at GolfStat.com.