NORMAN, Okla. -- The 14th-ranked Oklahoma men's golf team returns to the course this week as it travels to Scottsdale, Ariz., for the two-day, 54-hole Wyoming Cowboy Classic. The tournament, hosted by the University of Wyoming, will be played April 7 and 8 (Monday and Tuesday) at the 7,133-yard, par-70 North Course at the Talking Stick Golf Club.
The Sooners are coming of a third-place finish at the Linger Longer Invitational in Greensboro, Ga., last month after logging a three-round 867 (+3). OU's first-round 271 (-17) tied for second best in program history. With scores of 217 (+1), Michael Gellerman and Beau Titsworth took a share of 19th place to lead the Sooners.
"We always love coming out to Arizona," OU head coach Ryan Hybl said. "The golf course is great, and the weather is perfect. We are looking to pick up some confidence before conference, and this is a great place to do it."
OU’s lineup for the Wyoming Cowboy Classic will include senior Michael Schoolcraft, juniors Gellerman and Charlie Saxon, sophomore Titsworth and freshman Max McGreevy.
THE FIELD (GOLFWEEK RANKINGS IN PARENTESES)
UC Davis (61)
UC Santa Barbara
UT Pan American
1. Michael Gellerman, Junior: Finished in a career-best third place at Border Olympics with a three-round 212 (-4) … Took a share of fifth place with a 4-over 217 at UTSA/Oak Hills Invitational … Claimed a share of sixth place at Erin Hills Intercollegiate with a 2-under 214 ... Has recorded three career top-5 finishes, seven top-10 finishes and 16 top-20 finishes.
2. Michael Schoolcraft, Senior: Recorded career-best finish when he tied for second place at the prestigious Southern Highlands Collegiate Masters with a three-over 219 … Posted a third-place showing at UTSA/Oak Hills Invitational with a 2-over 215 … Finished fifth at Border Olympics with a 215 (-1) … Finished last season with a 72.84 (+1.39) scoring average, second best on team.
3. Beau Titsworth, Sophomore: Finished in a career-best tie for fifth place with a 217 (+4) competing as an individual at UTSA/Oak Hills Invitational … Placed 10th at Golfweek Conference Challenge with a 1-under 215 … Tied for 11th place at Jack Nicklaus Invitational after shooting a 218 (+5) … Has recorded 10 career top-20 finishes.
4. Charlie Saxon, Junior: Tied for sixth place, his best in a team event, at Border Olympics with an even-par 216 … Claimed a share of seventh place at Golfweek Conference Challenge after shooting a 214 (-2) … Finished in a tie for 13th place with a 217 (+1) at Erin Hills Intercollegiate … Participated in 2013 Lions Classic, which he won with a two-round 141 (+1).
5. Max McGreevy, Freshman: Earned Big 12 Men’s Golfer of the Month honors for September after being highest finisher for Sooners in first two tournaments … Led the Sooners at the Golfweek Conference Challenge with a three-round 213 (-3) and fifth-place finish in his first collegiate tournament … Won Oklahoma 6A Championship in 2012 and 2013.
The 7,133-yard, par-70 North Course at the Talking Stick Golf Club in Scottsdale, Ariz., serves as the track for the Wyoming Cowboy Classic.
Fifty-four holes will be played over two days, with 36 holes slated for Monday and the final round scheduled for Tuesday. OU will be paired with Wyoming and Gonzaga on Monday and will tee off for the first round at 9:30 CT with a shotgun start.
Monday: Sunny with a high of 88 degrees and winds from the northwest at 5-10 mph.
Tuesday: Sunny with a high of 94 degrees with winds from the east at 5-10 mph.
OU’S WYOMING COWBOY CLASSIC HISTORY
The Sooners last competed at the Wyoming Cowboy Classic in 2010, finishing in a tie for fourth place out of 24 teams with a 16-over 856.
Live stats (updated every three holes) will be available at www.golfstatresults.com. Click here for the direct link.