NORMAN, Okla. -- The University of Oklahoma men’s golf team will compete in its second event of the 2013-14 season Sunday and Monday at the two-day, 54-hole Jack Nicklaus Invitational at The Ohio State University Golf Club in Columbus, Ohio.
The Sooners, who are ranked No. 10 in the Golf World/NIKE Golf Coaches Poll, finished first at the Golfweek Conference Challenge on Sept. 17 in Burlington, Iowa. OU will utilize the same lineup this weekend of juniors Michael Gellerman and Charlie Saxon, sophomore Beau Titsworth, freshman Max McGreevy and senior Michael Schoolcraft.
“This is a great field and a great course,” OU head coach Ryan Hybl said. “We are looking forward to the challenge. The Scarlet Course is a classic course in our country, and we are honored to be a part of it.”
THE FIELD (COACHES’ POLL RANKINGS IN PARENTHESES)
Oklahoma State (6)
Kent State (19)
East Tennessee State
Long Beach State
1. Michael Gellerman, Junior: Finished in a tie for 24th at season-opening Golfweek Conference Challenge with a 2-over-par 218 … Competed in eight of OU’s team events as a sophomore … Recorded a 74.43 (+2.83) scoring average last year … Claimed a season-best ninth-place finish at Linger Longer Invitational with a two-round 142 (-2).
2. Charlie Saxon, Junior: Claimed a share of seventh place at Golfweek Conference Challenge after shooting a 214 (-2) … Competed in six of OU’s 13 team tournaments as a sophomore, including last four of season … Also participated in 2013 Lions Classic, which he won with a two-round 141 (+1) … Posted a 73.00 (+2.10) scoring average.
3. Beau Titsworth, Sophomore: Placed a career-best 10th at Golfweek Conference Challenge with a 1-under 215 … Competed in all 13 of OU’s team tournaments as a freshman … Recorded five top-20 finishes, including in his first three collegiate competitions … Finished season with a 73.11 (+1.66) scoring average … Has finished in the top 20 six times in his career.
4. Max McGreevy, Freshman: Led the Sooners at the Golfweek Conference Challenge with a three-round 213 (-3) and fifth-place finish in his first collegiate tournament … Won Oklahoma 6A State Championship in 2012 and 2013 … Was regarded by Golfweek as the country’s No. 11 recruit in the 2013 class.
5. Michael Schoolcraft, Senior: Posted a three-round 216 (E) at Golfweek Challenge en route to a tie for 13th place … Has competed in 31 events as a Sooner … Participated in all 13 of OU’s team tournaments as a junior … Finished season with a 72.84 (+1.39) scoring average, second best on team … Led team with four eagles and 111 birdies … Tied for third at Mason Rudolph Championship with a 5-under 208, his career-low 54 hole score.
The Ohio State University Golf Club’s Scarlet Course is a 7,455-yard, par-71 track located in Columbus, Ohio. The tournament is named for PGA Tour great Jack Nicklaus, who competed for the university. The course was completed in 1938 and has hosted 10 NCAA men’s Championships in its history.
Fifty-four holes will be played over two days. Sunday features two rounds, beginning at 9 a.m. ET with a shotgun start. On Monday, the final 18 holes will be played, with tee times off holes No. 1 and 10 starting at 8:15 a.m. ET.
Temperatures for the two days are predicted to be in the low 70s. Sunday’s forecast calls for a 30 percent change of isolated thunderstorms and winds out of the south-southwest at 10 miles per hour. On Monday, partly cloudy skies with winds out of the west-northwest at six miles per hour are predicted.
OU’S JACK NICKLAUS INVITATIONAL HISTORY
This is the first time the Sooners have competed in the Jack Nicklaus Invitational and the fourth-consecutive year of the event.
Live stats (updated every three holes) will be available at www.golfstatresults.com. Click here for the direct link.