Athletics Communications
By Athletics Communications
University of Oklahoma
MAY 20, 2013


OU Licensing | Prospective Licensees | Campus Departments | Student Organizations | Current Licensees | Crafters | Photo/Video Licensing | Retailers | Fans | FAQs

What is a trademark?
As defined by the US Patents & Trademarks Office, a trademark is a "word, phrase, symbol or design, or a combination of words, phrases, symbols or designs, that identifies and distinguishes the source of the goods of one party from those of others."
What trademarks does OU own?
A complete list of OU's trademarks can be viewed here: OU Trademarks

The words "Oklahoma" and "Sooners" are trademarked by OU, but these are common words. How do I know whether I need permission to use these trademarks?
As a general rule, when OU's color scheme or any other OU identifier is used in connection with these words to reference OU and not the state of Oklahoma in a commercial manner, you will need a license.

What is a license?
A license is a legal agreement between the trademark holder (licensor) and an outside entity (licensee). The licensor grants permission to the licensee to use the licensor's trademarks.

When do I need a license?
You will need a license if:
You or your business/organization wishes to use the OU's trademarks on any product that is to be sold. Please visit the Prospective Licensees section to learn more about applying for a license.
You or your business/organization wishes to use any of OU's trademarks in any type of advertisement to promote the sale of your goods or services. Examples would include print advertisements, radio spots, TV spots, etc. Please contact Sooner Sports Properties at (405) 325-2148 to learn more.
You or your business/organization wishes to use any of OU's trademarks to drive business to your organization in other ways. Please contact Sooner Sports Properties at (405) 325-2148 to learn more.

I am making a handmade item for myself, family member or friend but won't sell the item. Do I need a license?
If you are making an item yourself that will not be sold or used for commercial purposes, you do not need a license.

I would like to have a product made to distribute to my employees and/or customers that features my company's logo, as well as the OU logo. Do I need a license?
Yes. Please contact Sooner Sports Properties at (405) 325-2148 to learn more.

I have a great idea for an OU product. Who do I contact?
Please review the Prospective Licensees section to determine which type of license you will need. Be advised that neither the University of Oklahoma's request for information from you regarding any of your products, services or ideas nor your reply to the request for information (nor your voluntary unsolicited submission) constitutes an offer to contract or a solicitation by the University to offer a contract or license to your company. Should the University wish to make such an offer for a contract or license, your company will be required to submit to a pre-qualification process and more formal discussions for contracting and licensing.

Accordingly, when you send us information about your company, do not include confidential or proprietary information, such as product concepts, designs, ideas, original artwork, or other original creative materials or suggestions. This is necessary to prevent possible future misunderstandings when products developed by our own employees or licensees might seem to others to be similar to their own creative work. Further, you should be aware that any items you send to the University could be subject to disclosure under applicable state law. You acknowledge and agree that the University at all times has many products and projects in various stages of development, and that the results of these endeavors may be similar or identical to your own products or projects.

If you ignore this policy and submit any creative suggestions, ideas, notes, drawings, concepts, designs or other information (collectively "Unsolicited Submissions"), you hereby assign to the University all rights of every nature and description, in perpetuity, throughout the world, in such Unsolicited Submissions. The Unsolicited Submissions shall be deemed, and shall remain, the sole property of the University. None of the Unsolicited Submissions shall be subject to any obligation of confidence on the University's part and the University shall not be liable for any use or disclosure of any Unsolicited Submissions. Without limitation of the foregoing, the University shall exclusively own all now-known and hereafter existing rights to the Unsolicited Submissions of every kind and nature, throughout the world, and shall be entitled to unrestricted use of the Unsolicited Submissions for any purpose whatsoever, commercial or otherwise, without compensation of any kind to the provider of the Unsolicited Submissions.

What is IMG Collegiate Licensing?
IMG Collegiate Licensing is the licensing representative for the University of Oklahoma that coordinates all of OU's product licensing agreements except crafter's licenses. As the University's representative, IMGCL is responsible for administering the licensing program, including processing applications, collecting royalties, enforcing trademarks and pursuing new market opportunities for the University.

Why is it important to only purchase officially licensed OU merchandise?
Each time you purchase a licensed product, a portion of your purchase helps support various academic and athletics programs that allow the university to continue to retain its national reputation and stature.

As a trademark holder, OU is also legally mandated to ensure that only entities with the proper licensing agreement in place are allowed to use OU trademarks for commercial purposes.

How can I tell if a product is officially licensed?
Look for the Officially Licensed Collegiate Product hologram sticker. This sticker assures you that the product onto which the sticker is affixed has been approved for sale by OU.

What can I do if I find a product that appears to be unlicensed?
Please fill out the Unlicensed Product Reporting Form. Please note that you can remain anonymous.

What products can be licensed?
Students, alumni and fans generate many great ideas for new University products. As a general rule, OU considers products that are of high quality and in good taste. Please note the following products that OU will NOT license:

Alcoholic beverages
Inherently dangerous products, such as firearms and explosives
Obscene/Disparaging products that may damage OU's reputation
Gambling-related products
Sexually suggestive products

What are the costs associated in becoming a licensee?
IMGCL has prepared an extensive overview document that details all aspects of the licensing application process for the licensing agreements that it administers, including a summary of an applicant's anticipated first-year costs. Please download the licensing application packet at to learn more.

Crafter's licenses are more affordable, but more restrictions apply. Please visit the Prospective Licensees section to learn more.

How long will it take for OU to review my licensing application if I am applying for an OU license through IMGCL?
The application process can vary, but please up to three to four weeks for OU to review your application, once it has been submitted to IMGCL.

Can I set up a booth on campus to sell my OU merchandise on days of athletics events?
Due to space limitations and current contractual arrangements, we do not allow outside entities to sell their licensed OU merchandise on campus on any OU gameday.



Sooner Sports Properties, LLC, is the multimedia rights holder for athletics at the University of Oklahoma.
Sooner Sports Properties is a joint venture of Learfield Communications and Tyler Media, LLC.


Sooner Sports Powered by FOX Sports is a multi-platform network that provides distribution of 1,000+ hours of Sooner sports programming annually on a variety of FOX Sports outlets, including FOX Sports Oklahoma, FOX Sports Southwest, and FOX College Sports.