Feb. 9, 2013
NORMAN, Okla. – The University of Oklahoma Track and Field team capped its weekend in Seattle, Wash., and Fayetteville, Ark., with a program-record breaking performance by Pat Casey, and a shot put title from Tia Brooks.
Casey, who has made his name known throughout the opening weeks of the 2013 season, continued his success with a program-record breaking 7:52.80 performance in the 3,000-meter run at the Flotrack Husky Classic.
His run in the 3,000-meter marks the second time this season that Casey has broken an Oklahoma record, after he ran a 3:56.28 mile at the Razorback Invitational in Fayetteville to become the fastest Sooner to ever complete the event.
Fellow Sooner Kyle King completed the 3,000-meter run in a personal-best 8:12.00 to finish 36th in the field.
Brooks captured her seventh-straight shot put title after she totaled a 58-8.00 (17.88m) toss at the Tyson Invitational. She was the lone Sooner on the day to claim an individual event title.
Oklahoma collected three other top-five finishes in Fayetteville with the help of Hillary Krein, who took second in the women’s 3,000-meter run with a 9:55.68 effort, and freshman Everette Favor who cleared 16-3.25 (4.96m) to take fifth in the men’s pole vault competition. The men’s 4x400 relay team combined efforts to cross the line in 3:11.54 to take fifth.
Junior Waymon Storey stopped the clock at 21.54 to record a career-low time in the 200-meter dash en route to a 17th-place finish in the event.
Oklahoma will host the Sooner Invitational next weekend on Saturday, Feb. 16 at the Mosier Indoor Track Facility. It’ll mark the final regular-season meet for the Sooners, who will travel to Ames, Iowa, for the 2013 Big 12 Championships, Feb. 22-23.
FLOTRACK HUSKY CLASSIC
Men’s 3,000m Run Invite
7. Pat Casey, Sr., 7:52.80*!
36. Kyle King, Sr., 8:12.00*
37. Bill Kogel, Sr., 8:16.84
TYSON INVITATIONAL RESULTS
Men’s Pole Vault
5. Everette Favor, Fr., 16-3.25/4.96m
12. Tanner Callihan, Fr., 15-9.25/4.81m
Women’s Shot Put
1. Tia Brooks, Sr., 58-8.00/17.88m
14. Brooke Garner, Fr., 47-7.25/14.51m
25. Rylee Rackley, So., 41-11.5/12.79m
Men’s Shot Put
8. Austin Perry, Fr., 58-3.25/17.76m
11. Conrad Aaron, Sr., 55-4.75/16.88m
18. Tyler Sergent, So., 52-6.75/16.02m
Women’s High Jump
14. Abbie Wallace, Fr., 5-1.75/1.57m
Women’s High Jump Invitational
7. Kristen Rice, Sr., 5-7.75/1.72m
Men’s High Jump
10. Landon Sharp, Jr., 6-6.00/1.98m
Women’s Triple Jump
8. Whitney Johnson, Sr., 39-5.25/12.02m
Women’s 200m Dash
48. Cessily Jones, Fr., 24.78
61. Tiaira Carter, Fr., 25.18
-- Erin Jones, Jr., DQ- Lane Violation
Men’s 200m Dash
17. Waymon Storey, Jr., 21.54*
27. Jamel Wood, Sr., 21.76
46. Scott Petersen, Fr., 22.65
Women’s 3,000m Run
2. Hilary Krein, Jr., 9:55.68
Men’s 3,000m Run
17. Zach Herriott, Fr., 8:38.55
Men’s 4x400m Relay
5. Oklahoma, 3:11.54