Jan. 19, 2013
NORMAN, Okla. – The University of Oklahoma track and field team played host to the 13th annual J.D. Martin Invitational Duals, Saturday afternoon at the Mosier Indoor Track Facility. Both squads combined to bring home twelve OU victories at the Invitational, as seven men and five women won their respective events, which included titles from five Sooner freshmen.
For the second-straight year Tia Brooks led the way for the Sooners when she put together a J.D. Martin Invitational and Mosier track-best, 18.76m/61-06.75 throw in the women’s shot put to claim the win.
Continuing Brooks’ success in the field events, the Sooners swept the top-five spots in the women’s weight throw. Redshirt freshman Sarah Tolson had the winning toss of 17.62m/57-09.75 for a new personal-best that sits third in the OU record book.
Three other Sooners etched their name in the OU record book on Saturday, alongside Tolson, in the women’s weight throw after Brooke Garner was second with a toss of 16.63m/54-06.75, Kate Foster was third with a 16.14m/52-11.50 effort and Elizabeth Herrs was fifth with a throw of 14.75m/48-04.75 to sit sixth, seventh and ninth respectively in Oklahoma’s top-10 performance list.
The Sooner men also had success in the field events, with titles in the shot put, high jump, long jump and pole vault.
Senior Wayne Walls and Junior Landon Sharp collected individual wins in the long jump and high jump, respectively. Walls leapt 7.09m/23-03.25 on his final attempt to take the long jump victory, while Sharp cleared 2.03m/6-08.00 en route to his high jump title.
Redshirt freshman Austin Perry contributed another OU win after he put together his best throw of 18.19m/59-09.25 on his third of four attempts.
Rachel Bolton claimed Oklahoma’s first individual victory of the day in her collegiate debut when she cleared 3.81m/12-06.00 in the women’s pole vault. Fellow freshman Everette Favor claimed the men’s pole-vault title with a 14.91m/16-01.25 vault, as OU managed to sweep both the men’s and women’s title.
Following Bolton and Favor’s lead in the field, a pair of Sooners swept the 60-meter hurdles title on the track after redshirt junior Alisa Jenkins claimed the women’s race with an 8.78 finish, and senior Tre’ Lethan topped all competitors in the men’s race after he crossed the finish line in 8.00.
Also on the track, freshman Allen Eke claimed the 600-yard title with a 1:13.42 performance.
As the Invitational came to a close, both the OU men and women dominated in the mile run, finishing one-two in each race.
Hilary Krein and Molly Ferguson combined to claim the top-two finishes in the women’s race with times of 5:03.22 and 5:13.18, respectively, while Andrew Weaver and Kyle King accomplished the same feat after crossing the line in 4:17.24 and 4:17.69, respectively, to take the top-two finishes.
Next up for the Sooners is the Razorback Invitational in Little Rock, Ark., on Friday, Jan. 25 and Saturday, Jan. 26
OU Individual Results: FIELD EVENTS
Women’s High Jump
2. Kristen Rice, 1.70m/5-07.90
3. Abbie Wallace, 1.65m/5-05.00
Women’s Long Jump
3. Claire McConnell, 5.50m/18-04.25
4. Whitney Johnson, 5.48m/17-11.75
Women’s Pole Vault
1. Rachel Bolton, 3.81m/12-06.00
3. Morgan Nichols, 3.51m/11-06.25
Women’s Weight Throw
1. Sarah Tolson, 17.62m/57-09.75
2. Brooke Garner, 16.63m/54-06.75
3. Kate Foster, 16.14m/52-11.50
4. Rylee Rackley, 15.92m/52-02.75
5. Elizabeth Herrs, 14.75m/48-04.75
Women’s Shot Put
1. Tia Brooks, 18.76m$/61-06.75
2. Brooke Garner, 14.98m/49-01.75
4. Rylee Rackley, 13.83m/45-04.50
12. Claire McConnell, 10.02m/32-10.50
Men’s Long Jump
1. Wayne Walls, 7.09m/23-03.25
2. Kaelan Washington, 7.09/23-03.25
4. Deon Pinder, 6.66m/21-10.25
10. Seth Lewandowski, 5.70m/18-08.50
Men’s High Jump
1. Landon Sharp, 2.03m/6-08.00
2. Christian Jonshon, 1.98m/6.06.00
7. Seth Lewandowski, 1.73m/5-08.00
Men’s Pole Vault
1. Everette Favor, 4.91m/16-01.25
3. Tanner Callihan, 4.61m/15-01.50
-- Cameron Bock, NH
Men’s Shot Put
1. Austin Perry, 18.19m/59-08.25
2. Tyler Sergent, 17.03m/55-10.50
3. Conrad Aaron, 16.80m/55-01.50
OU Individual Results: RUNNING EVENTS
Women’s 60-meter Hurdles
1. Alisa Jenkins, 8.78
4. Claire McConnell, 8.89
6. Georgina Tamez-Reyna, 9.05
Women’s 60-meter Dash
2. Cessily Jones, 7.66
9. Tiaira Carter, 7.92
11. Daunica Demerson, 8.05
12. Ebanga Arrey, 8.05
15. Georgina Tamez-Reyna, 8.34
Women’s Mile Run
1. Hilary Krein, 5:03.22
2. Molly Ferguson, 5:13.18
Men’s 60-meter Hurdles
1. Tre’ Lathan, 8.00
2. Matt Wicks, 8.18
3. Nathaniel Winfrey, 8.34
10. Seth Lewandowski, 9.10
Men’s 60-meter Dash
4. Jamel Wood, 7.00
9. Mar-Keo Jones, 7.06
11. Waymon Storey, 7.09
13. Tre’ Lathan, 7.11
Men’s 400-meter Dash
2. Scott Petersen, 50.34
Men’s 600-yard Run
1. Allen Eke, 1:13.42
Men’s 800-meter Run
3. Brandon Doughty, 1:57.51
Men’s 200-meter Dash
4. Mason Williams, 22.80
Men’s Mile Run
1. Andrew Weaver, 4:17.24
2. Kyle King, 4:17.69
Men’s Mile Relay
4. Oklahoma (Scott Peterson, Mason Williams, Matt Wicks, Nathaniel Winfrey), 3:27.08