NORMAN, Okla. -- The 10th-ranked University of Oklahoma women’s golf team returns to the course one final time this week for the NCAA Championships. The 24-team field will play Tuesday-Friday (May 20-23) at the 6,194-yard, par-70 Tulsa Country Club in Tulsa, Okla.
The Sooners qualified for the national championships for the third consecutive year with a fourth-place finish at the NCAA West Regional in Cle Elum, Wash. Senior Anne-Catherine Tanguay led OU with a three-round 221 (+5) to finish tied for eighth place.
Big 12 Coach of the Year Veronique Drouin-Luttrell said she is excited to see what will happen at the pinnacle event of the season.
“We’ve been practicing all year for this tournament,” Drouin-Luttrell said. “I’m just really proud of all the girls on this team. We’ve set big goals and we’ve all worked hard to keep improving throughout the year. We will continue to play one shot at a time and one hole at a time because anything can happen out there. We’ve played this course before and we played well. We’re excited to play in-state and we hope that we will have lots of fans supporting us this week.”
The Sooners will tee off Tuesday at 12:55 p.m. CT. Live stats are available at NCAA.com.
TOURNAMENT FIELD (GOLFWEEK/GOLFSTAT RANKINGS)
Southern California (1/1)
Arizona State (6/6)
South Carolina (8/5)
Ohio State (18/25)
Michigan State (22/23)
Iowa State (23/27)
Mississippi State (24/33)
North Carolina State (26/26)
Texas A&M (29/36)
1. Anne-Catherine Tanguay, Senior: Two-time All-Big 12 performer (2013 and '14) and 2013 third-team All-American (Golfweek) ... Coming off a tie for eighth place at the NCAA West Regional ... Ranks second at OU in career scoring average (74.13; +2.43) ... Has finished in the top 10 in 35 percent of her career collegiate events ... Tied for 58th place at last year's NCAA Championships and 21st in 2012 ... Won 2011 Susie Maxwell Berning Classic.
2. Chirapat Jao-Javanil, Senior: The 2012 NCAA champion ... Two-time All-American and four-time All-Big 12 honoree ... 2014 Big 12 champion (7-under 209) ... Coming off a tie for 12th place at the NCAA West Regional ... Ranks first in school history in career scoring average (73.03; +1.83) and career wins (6) ... Has recorded three of the four best single-season averages in OU history ... Has finished in the top five in 33 percent of her career events ... Tied for sixth place out of 166 competitors at the 2013 NCAA Central Regional.
3. Alexandra Kaui, Freshman: Big 12 Freshman of the Year and two-time Big 12 Golfer of the Month ... Named to 10-member All-Big 12 Team ... Coming off a tie for 14th place at the NCAA West Regional ... Holds OU records for 18-hole score and 18-hole score vs. par (65; -7) ... Also owns school record for 54-hole score vs. par (-10; 206) ... Has finished in the top 10 in 40 percent of her collegiate events and in the top 20 in 70 percent of her outings.
4. Emily Collins, Senior: Coming off a tie for 31st place at the NCAA West Regional ... Ranks sixth at OU in career scoring average (75.56; +3.87) ... Ranks fourth at OU in par-or-better rounds (32) and fourth in birdies (292) ... Has finished in the top 20 in 32 percent of her career collegiate events (13 of 41) ... Tied for second place at the 2013 NCAA Central Regional and 85th place at last year's NCAA Championships.
5. Kaitlyn Rohrback, Senior: Coming off a tie for 61st place at the NCAA West Regional ... Ranks fifth at OU in career scoring average (75.30; +4.07) ... Ranks 10th at OU in par-or-better rounds (12) despite playing just two seasons ... Has finished in the top 20 in 11 of her 36 career collegiate events (31 percent) ... Tied for 85th place at the 2013 NCAA Championships ... Transferred from Tennessee ... Two-time Maryland Women's Amateur winner ('10 & '11).
The 6,194-yard, par-70 Tulsa Country Club in Tulsa, Okla., will serve as the host site for the 2014 NCAA Championships.
The Sooners got a taste of the Tulsa Country Club in September at the Dale McNamara NCAA Fall Preview. OU placed second at the 15-team event, which featured 11 of Golfweek's top 12 teams at the time. The Sooners carded an 852 (+12) and finished just four strokes behind top-ranked USC. All Sooners competing this week participated in the Fall Preview (each finished in the top 39 of the tournament). Senior Chirapat Jao-Javanil fired a team-low 212 (+2) to tie for 12th place.
Teams will compete in 72 holes of stroke play over four days (18 holes each Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday). Play will begin at 8 a.m. CT Tuesday with OU teeing off starting at 12:55 p.m.
NCAA CHAMPIONSHIPS HISTORY
This marks OU's third straight NCAA Championships appearance and eighth overall. Last season, the Sooners tied for ninth place at the NCAA Championships in Athens, Ga. Senior Chirapat Jao-Javanil placed 17th overall after winning the NCAA individual title in 2012 when the Sooners finished in a program-best-tying sixth place.
Tuesday: High of 89 degrees with no chance of rain and winds out of the south at 22 mph.
Wednesday: High of 90 degrees with no chance of rain and winds out of the south at 18 mph.
Thursday: High of 90 degrees with a 20 percent chance of rain and winds out of the south at 10 mph.
Friday: High of 88 degrees with a 30 percent chance of rain and winds out of the south at 10 mph.
Live stats will be available at NCAA.com.