NORMAN, Okla. -- The University of Oklahoma women’s golf team returns to the course this weekend to compete in the 15-team Alamo Invitational, the Sooners’ last tournament of the fall season. The event is being held Sunday through Tuesday at the 7,206-yard, par-72 Briggs Ranch Golf Club in San Antonio, Texas, and will be hosted by UTSA.
Oklahoma won the 2012 Alamo Invitational by eight shots, posting a three-round 848 (-16). Then-junior Kaitlyn Rohrback tied for third place with fellow Sooner and then-senior Taylor Schmidt, logging a career-best 212 (-4). OU’s 848 marked the best 54-hole score in OU history, beating the previous record by 11 strokes.
The Sooners are coming off a third-place finish at the Ruth’s Chris Tar Heel Invitational in Chapel Hill, N.C., their third top-three showing in as many events this fall. The squad carded a three-round 871 (+7). Alexandra Kaui led the way for OU, tying for 19th place and with a 218 (+2). The freshman logged her career-best round, shooting a 2-under on the final 18 holes. Oklahoma finished second in its first two tournaments of the season, the Dale McNamara Fall Preview and the Schooner Fall Classic.
Fifth-year OU head coach Veronique Drouin-Luttrell said her team is excited to compete in one last tournament for the fall. Ten of the 15 squads in the event are ranked in Golfweek’s top 50 (four in the top 20).
“We love going to San Antonio for this tournament; the venue is one of the best,” Drouin-Luttrell said. “Once again, we're playing against some of the best teams in the country and it will be good to see how we play with them. We've had some of the best practices this last week and it's exciting for us to get back out there before the off-season and see if we're practicing the right things.”
Teams will begin play at 11 a.m. CT on Sunday.
TOURNAMENT FIELD (GOLFWEEK RANKINGS IN PARENTHESES)
Texas A&M (46)
Florida State (48)
1. Alexandra Kaui, Freshman: Coming off a season-low 2-under 70 in final round of Ruth’s Chris Tar Heel Invitational … Has finished in top 20 of each of her three collegiate events … Came to OU as the No. 13 player in the Golfweek/Sagarin Junior Rankings.
2. Anne-Catherine Tanguay, Senior: Coming off a season-best 5-over effort at the 54-hole Ruth’s Chris Tar Heel Invitational … Has competed in all 36 team events since arriving at Oklahoma as a freshman … Tied for second in the NCAA Central Regional in Norman last May … Has recorded seven career top-five finishes, seven top-10 finishes and 21 top-20 finishes.
3. Chirapat Jao-Javanil, Senior: Recorded a season-best 2-over-par effort at the season-opening Dale McNamara Fall Preview (12th place) … 2012 NCAA individual champion … Has recorded an OU-record-tying five tournament wins in her OU career … A two-time first-team All-American and three-time All-Big 12 selection.
4. Emily Collins, Senior: Coming off a 24th-place finish at the Ruth’s Chris Tar Heel Invitational (+3) … Tied for second at the 2013 NCAA Central Regional … Has recorded three career top-five finishes, seven top-10 finishes and 11 top-20 finishes.
5. Kaitlyn Rohrback, Senior: Recorded a season-low 4-over 214 at season-opening Dale McNamara Fall Preview … Has recorded two rounds in the 60s this fall … Tied for third at last year’s Alamo Invitational with a career-best 4-under 212 … Played first two seasons at Tennessee.
The Tom Fazio-designed 7,206-yard, par-72 Briggs Ranch Golf Club is the host site for the Alamo Invitational.
Teams will compete in 54 holes of stroke play over three days (18 holes each Sunday, Monday and Tuesday). Play will begin Sunday at 11 a.m., while the second round will start at 8:30 a.m. Monday. Tuesday’s final round will begin with an 8:45 a.m. shotgun start.
Sunday: High of 79 degrees with a 50 percent chance of rain and SSW winds at 6 mph.
Monday: High of 84, 20 percent chance of rain, SSE wind at 10 mph.
Tuesday: High of 85, 20 percent chance of rain, SSE wind at 13 mph.
Live scoring will be available at Golfstat.com.