NORMAN, Okla. -- The fourth-ranked University of Oklahoma women’s golf team returns to action this weekend in Chapel Hill, N.C., where it will compete in the Ruth’s Chris Tar Heel Invitational. The 18-team event will be Friday through Sunday (Oct. 11-13) and features 16 squads ranked in Golfweek’s top 50.
The Sooners are coming off a second-place finish in their own Schooner Fall Classic, which took place this past Saturday through Monday at Belmar Golf Club in Norman. OU carded an 874 (+34) and almost pulled out a remarkable comeback victory after finding itself in 12th place after the first day. Freshman Alexandra Kaui finished at the top of the Sooners’ lineup, recording a 6-over 216 and a 10th-place tie. The Sooners also finished in second place at the season-opening Dale McNamara NCAA Fall Preview.
Fifth-year OU head coach Veronique Drouin-Luttrell said she is excited to get back to work this weekend.
“This was a quick turnaround for us but this is a great event to be a part of,” Drouin-Luttrell said. “We're playing against some of the best teams in the country again this week and it will be good for us to see how we measure up. This is a great Fazio design golf course and we have to play smart golf.”
The Sooners will tee off Friday from hole one starting at 9:54 a.m.
TOURNAMENT FIELD (GOLFWEEK RANKINGS IN PARENTHESES)
North Carolina (12)
NC State (14)
South Carolina (17)
Michigan State (27)
Wake Forest (37)
Notre Dame (42)
1. Alexandra Kaui, Freshman: Coming off a 10th-place tie at the Schooner Fall Classic … Recorded her first under-par round, shooting a 69 (-1) in the SFC second round … Tied for 15th place in the season-opening Dale McNamara NCAA Fall Preview (her first collegiate tournament) … Came to OU as the No. 13 player in the Golfweek/Sagarin Junior Rankings.
2. Anne-Catherine Tanguay, Senior: Coming off a tie for 16th place at the Schooner Fall Classic … Has competed in all 35 team events since arriving at Oklahoma as a freshman… Ranks second in OU career scoring average (74.30) and third in par-or-better rounds (29) … Tied for second in the NCAA Central Regional in Norman last May … Has recorded seven career top-five finishes, 11 top-10 finishes and 21 top-20 finishes in her career.
3. Emily Collins, Senior: Shot a 69 (-1) in Monday’s final round of the Schooner Fall Classic … Tied for second in the NCAA Central Regional in Norman last May … Has recorded three career top-five finishes, seven top-10 finishes and 11 top-20 finishes.
4. Kaitlyn Rohrback, Senior: Coming off a 69 (-1) in the final round of the Schooner Fall Classic (third round of her collegiate career in the 60s and second this season)… Tied for third place at the 2012 Alamo Invitational, shooting a career-best 212 (-4) … Played first two seasons at Tennessee.
5. Chirapat Jao-Javanil, Senior: Tied for 39th place in the Schooner Fall Classic earlier this week … Finished tied for 12th place in the season-opening Dale McNamara NCAA Fall Preview Sept. 9-11 … 2012 NCAA Individual Champion… Two-time first-team All-American … Has won an OU-record-tying five tournaments during her career.
The 6,285-yard, par-72 UNC Finley Golf Course is the host site for the Ruth’s Chris Tar Heel Invitational.
Teams will compete in 54 holes of stroke play over three days (18 holes each Friday, Saturday and Sunday). Play will begin Friday and Saturday at 9:09 a.m. from the No. 1 tee and at 8:51 a.m. from the No. 10 tee. Sunday play will begin at 9:15 a.m.
Temperatures are expected to be in the lower 70s all three days with a 10-20 percent chance of rain. Players can expect 10 mile-per-hour winds with partly cloudy skies.
Live scoring will be available at Birdiefire.com.