Sooners Open Season with Pair of Wins
NORMAN – The No. 18 Oklahoma men’s tennis team opened the season with back-to-back wins over Bryant and Creighton Saturday at the Headington Family Tennis Center.
The Sooners defeated Bryant, 5-0, to start the day, followed by a 4-0 sweep of Creighton in the afternoon.
“We started a lot of young guys today and I thought these guys came really ready to play from the first point against Bryant,” said OU head coach Nick Crowell. “We finished it out strong at the end of the day against Creighton.”
In the first match of the day, the Sooners grabbed singles wins on courts three, four, five and six, after opening the match against Bryant with the doubles point. Ferran Calvo and Jake van Emburgh gave up just one game en route to a 6-1 victory over Bryant's Luke Lorenz and Grant Pertile from the No. 2 line. OU's James Davis and Alex Bakshi shut out Bryant’s Jorge
When play was suspended, No. 43 Adrian Oetzbach and Jochen Bertsch trailed 3-2 to Matt Kuhar and Art Jakubowski.
In singles action, Van Emburgh gave up just one game, taking down Bryant’s Philip Belmatch, 6-0, 6-1, at the No. 4 line. Bertsch had no trouble putting away Scott Plutt on court five, winning 6-0, 6-2.
On court six, Davis also notched the first duals win of his OU career, topping Pertile, 6-2, 6-2. Oetzbach also won handily, beating Wilson Dong, 6-1, 6-2, on court three to give the Sooners a 5-0 win to open the 2018 season.
When play was suspended, Ferran Calvo had just dropped a nail-biter of
Bakshi was tied with Lorenz, 3-3, in the second frame after winning the opening frame, 6-3.
OU came out firing in the second match of the day versus Creighton, winning the doubles point and collecting victories on courts 2, 3 and 4.
Max Stewart and Davis shut out Creighton’s Brooks Kendall and Stratton Brown, 6-0, at No. 2 doubles
Calvo and van Emburgh led the Bluejays duo of Mac Mease and Alex Koca, 4-3, when play was halted.
In singles action, Stewart picked up his first career victory as a Sooner with a 6-1, 6-2, win over Koca on court 4. Bertsch defeated Gandini, 6-2, 6-3, at No. 3 singles to collect his second singles win
Oetzbach once again clinched the match for the Sooners with a 6-1, 6-3, rout of Brown from the No. 2 line.
When play was halted, Ferran Calvo had stormed back to take the second set, 6-2, after dropping the first set, 6-2, on court 1. Davis and Bridegan also won their first sets and led their second frames before the Sooners clinched.
“Doubleheaders are always long days but our guys were up to the challenge. We were really using those matches to help prepare us for our upcoming season.” Crowell added.
The Sooners are back in action to take on Arkansas Sunday at 1 p.m. CT at the Headington Family Tennis Center. Free t-shirts will be provided for fans in attendance. Live stats are available here.
Admission to the Headington Family Tennis Center is always free. For updates, follow @OU_MTennis on Twitter.
OU 5, Bryant 0
- Ferran Calvo (OU) vs. Kuhar, Matt (BRYM) 6-7 (3-7), unfinished
- Alex Bakshi (OU) vs. Lorenz, Luke (BRYM) 6-3, 3-3, unfinished
- Adrian Oetzbach (OU) def. Dong, Wilson (BRYM) 6-2, 6-1
- Jake van Emburgh (OU) def. Belmatch, Philip (BRYM) 6-0, 6-1
- Jochen Bertsch (OU) def. Plutt, Scott (BRYM) 6-0, 6-2
- James Davis (OU) def. Pertile, Grant (BRYM) 6-2, 6-2
- #43 Jochen Bertsch/Adrian Oetzbach (OU) vs. KUHAR, Matt/JAKUBOWSKI, Artur (BRYM) 2-3, unfinished
- Ferran Calvo/Jake van Emburgh (OU) def. LORENZ, Luke/PERTILE, Grant (BRYM) 6-1
- James Davis/Alex Bakshi (OU) def. ORTIZ-GARCIA, J I/QUIROS, Andrew (BRYM) 6-0
Order of finish: Doubles (2, 3); Singles (4, 5, 6, 3)
OU 4, Creighton 0
- Ferran Calvo vs. Brooks
Kenall, 2-6, 6-2, unfinished
- Adrian Oetzbach def. Stratton Brown, 6-1, 6-3
- Jochen Bertsch def. Armando Gandini, 6-2, 6-3
- Max Stewart def. Alex Koca, 6-1, 6-2
- James Davis vs. Mac Mease, 6-4, 5-2, unfinished
- Mason Bridegan vs. Jose Diaz, 6-1, 4-2, unfinished
- Ferran Calvo/Jake van Emburgh vs. Mac Mease, 4-3, unfinished
- Max Stewart/James Davis def. Brooks Kendall/Stratton Brown, 6-0
- Stefano Tsorotiotis/Mason Bridegan def. Daniel Lopez-Rey/Armando Gandini, 6-1
Order of finish: Doubles (2, 3); Singles (4, 3, 2)