OU Sweeps Opening Weekend
NORMAN – The Oklahoma women's tennis team opened the 2019 season with a pair of wins, defeating SMU 4-3 and Oral Roberts 5-0 Saturday at the Headington Family Tennis Center.
“This was a big weekend,” said head coach Audra Cohen. “For us to come out and beat (SMU) 4-3 inside … is a good win. It’s a good win for us and it’s good that it could have happened on any court. We battled on every court and gave ourselves an opportunity on every court and that was important for us.”
OU 4, SMU 3
The Sooners clinched the doubles point to start the day. Sooners Martina Capurro and Camila Romero got on the board first, downing Liza Buss and Anzhelika Shapovalova 6-3 at the No. 2 line. The Sooners tied the Mustangs at every game to 3-all before taking control to win the court.
On court three, Oleksandra Korashvili and Skyler Miller fell to Karina Traxler and Tiffany Hollebeck, 6-3.
Just moments later, Jasmine Asghar and Ivana Corley sealed the point for OU with a 6-4 comeback victory over Vivienne Kulicke and Ana Perez-Lopez. The duo had trailed 3-0 in the match before battling back to tie the frame at 4-all, then close out the match.
Capurro got her first dual-match victory as a Sooner when she defeated SMU’s Liza Buss, 6-3, 6-4, at the top spot. In the first set, Capurro jumped out to a 3-0 lead before Buss answered, but the Sooner held Buss to three games to take the frame. Capurro again led the entire second set to capture the win.
Asghar won a three-set thriller against Karina Traxler on court four, 7-5, 2-6, 6-4. Asghar battled back from a 4-2 deficit in the first set before Traxler turned the tables in the second. In the final stanza, Asghar again trailed 4-2, but won four straight games to win the match.
Romero clinched the match with a three-set win over Perez-Lopez on court three, 6-3, 6-7 (8), 6-4. Romero held a 3-0 lead in the opening stanza and controlled the frame. Perez-Lopez took the second after an extended tiebreaker that saw ties at every point up to 9-8. Romero led the entire third set to put the match away.
Korashvili was defeated by Kulicke in a tough battle on court two. Korashvili gave up the first set 6-3 before firing back to win the second, 7-6 (8). The tiebreaker was tied at every point until Korashvili pulled ahead at 9-8, then hammered an ace to nab the set and send the match to a third frame. Kulicke took the final set, 6-4.
Corley fell to Shapovalova on court five, 6-2, 6-0. On court six, Miller was defeated by Petchey, 6-3, 6-4.
OU 5, Oral Roberts 0
OU made quick work of Oral Roberts to capture the doubles point. On court three, Korashvili and Kianah Motosono put away Valentina Gisbert and Andrea Vasiljevic on court three, winning a 6-0 shutout in just 20 minutes.
At the top spot, Asghar and Corley gave up just one game en route to a 6-1 victory over ORU’s Gorana Kadijevic and Ceijenia Cornelius.
When play was suspended, Capurro and Romero led Flavia Balcazar and Jovana Antonijevic 5-3 on court three.
In singles, two Sooners recorded shutouts. At the No. 3 line, Romero defeated Antonijevic 6-0, 6-0. Motosono got her first collegiate dual win over Vasiljevic on court six, also 6-0, 6-0.
“For her to come out in her first dual and kind of cruise control and be really confident and bring a lot of energy was great,” said Cohen. “We’ve known that she has that in her and that’s her competition mode, and to see her do that is really cool.”
At the top spot, Capurro picked up her second win of the day in statement fashion, defeating Kadijevic 6-1, 6-1. On court 2, Korashvili topped Cornelius, 6-2, 6-0, for her first win as a Sooner.
When play was halted, Corley was up 4-2 in the second set against Balcazar on court four after winning the first 6-1. Jabrzemski led Gisbert 3-2 in the second set on court six. The Sooner rolled past Gisbert in the first set, 6-2.
The Sooners head to Nashville for ITA Kickoff Weekend at Vanderbilt University. OU will face Winthrop in the first round at 10 a.m. CT on Jan. 25.
OU 4, SMU 3
1. Martina Capurro (OU) def. Liza Buss (SMU) 6-3, 6-4
2. Vivienne Kulicke (SMU) def. Oleksandra Korashvil (OU) 6-3, 6-7 (8-10), 6-4
3. Camila Romero (OU) def. Ana Perez-Lopez (SMU) 6-3, 6-7 (6-8), 6-3
4. Jasmine Asghar (OU) def. Karina Traxler (SMU) 7-5, 2-6, 6-4
5. A. Shapovalova (SMU) def. Ivana Corley (OU) 6-2, 6-0
6. Nicole Petchey (SMU) def. Skyler Miller (OU) 6-3, 6-4
1. Jasmine Asghar/Ivana Corley (OU) def. Vivienne Kulicke/Ana Perez-Lopez (SMU) 6-4
2. Martina Capurro/Camila Romero (OU) def. Liza Buss/A. Shapovalova (SMU) 6-3
3. Karina Traxler/Tiffany Hollebeck (SMU) def. Oleksandra Korashvil/Skyler Miller (OU) 6-3
OU 5, ORU 0
1. Martina Capurro (OU) def. Gorana Kadijevic (ORUW) 6-1, 6-1
2. Oleksandra Korashvil (OU) def. Ceijenia Cornelius (ORUW) 6-2, 6-0
3. Camila Romero (OU) def. Jovana Antonijevic (ORUW) 6-0, 6-0
4. Ivana Corley (OU) vs. Flavia Balcazar (ORUW) 6-1, 4-2, unfinished
5. Kianah Motosono (OU) def. Andrea Vasiljevic (ORUW) 6-0, 6-0
6. Nina Jabrzemski (OU) vs. Valentina Gisbert (ORUW) 6-2, 3-2, unfinished
1. Jasmine Asghar/Ivana Corley (OU) def. Gorana Kadijevic/Ceijenia Cornelius (ORUW) 6-1
2. Martina Capurro/Camila Romero (OU) vs. Flavia Balcazar/Jovana Antonijevic (ORUW) 5-3, unfinished
3. Oleksandra Korashvil/Kianah Motosono (OU) def. Valentina Gisbert/Andrea Vasiljevic (ORUW) 6-0
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1); Singles (3,1,2,5)