Sooners Close Regular Season at Texas
|Thurs. 6:30 p.m.||RHP-Nathan Wiles (7-3, 3.81)||RHP-Bryce Elder (2-3, 2.81)|
|Fri. 6:30 p.m.||LHP-Levi Prater (6-4, 2.93)||RHP-Blair Henley (6-3, 3.36)|
|Sat. 2:30 p.m.||TBA||RHP-Ty Madden (4-1, 3.26)|
• Oklahoma closes out the regular season with the Red River Rivalry this weekend in Austin, Texas. The Sooners and Longhorns will play at 6:30 p.m. Friday, 6:30 p.m. Saturday and 2:30 p.m. Sunday at UFCU Disch-Falk Field.
• OU can clinch a spot in next week’s Phillips 66 Big 12 Baseball Championship with at least one win this weekend. The Sooners can finish as high as fifth place in the league standings.
• Texas leads the overall series against OU, 132-54-2.
• Oklahoma is No. 44 in the most recent NCAA RPI rankings through May 14 games. The Sooners are 13-10 in road games and have 16 wins in 31 games against opponents in the top 100 of the RPI rankings. OU is one of five Big 12 schools in the RPI top 50, joining Texas Tech (9), Oklahoma State (11), West Virginia (18), and Baylor (27). With Texas (54), Kansas State (73), Kansas (75) and TCU (77), every Big 12 school ranks in the top 80 of the RPI.
• Of Oklahoma’s final 32 regular season games, 29 will have come against opponents ranked in the top 100 of the RPI, including 12 against the RPI top 50. Only 12 of those contests were played at home while 18 will have been on the road and two played at neutral sites.
ON THE AIR
• The games will air on Sportstalk 1400 AM/99.3 FM and the Sooner Sports Network with Toby Rowland and Ross Hubbard on the call.
• The series will be televised on the Longhorn Network, with Lowell Galindo, Keith Moreland and Greg Swindell calling the action.
ABOUT THE SOONERS
• OU is in its second year under the direction of head coach Skip Johnson. Johnson is 69-45 as OU head coach, and led the Sooners to an NCAA regional appearance last season.
• Oklahoma won its 2,600th game in program history on March 24. The Sooners are 2,610-1,517-12 (.632) all-time in their 119th season of competition.
• OU has allowed three or fewer runs in 25 of 51 games this season, and allowed one or zero runs 13 times.
• OU ranks 31st nationally in ERA (3.68), eighth in double plays (50), 10th in sacrifice bunts (42), 30th in sacrifice flies (28) and 18th in fielding percentage (.979). OU batters have drawn 259 walks, a total that ranks 34th nationally.
• OU leads ranks second in the Big 12 in fewest walks per nine innings (3.74) and third in ERA (3.68). The Sooners lead the conference in runners picked off (seven), paced by a league-high five runners picked off by Levi Prater.
• OU is batting .264 as a team and averaging 5.5 runs per game, with 90 doubles, 14 triples and 23 home runs. The Sooners allow opponents 4.1 runs per game and a .242 batting average.
• The Sooners have a 3.68 team ERA with 444 strikeouts to 190 walks in 457.1 innings.
• Sophomore Levi Prater was honored as part of the 2019 class of Wilma Rudolph Student-Athlete Achievement Award winners by the National Association of Academic and Student-Athlete Development Professionals (N4A), honoring student-athletes who have overcome great personal, academic and/or emotional odds to achieve academic success while participating in intercollegiate athletics. He leads the team with 90 strikeouts and a .207 opponent batting average and is second with 73.2 innings pitched. He has pitched at least six innings in eight starts and has allowed one run or fewer six times this season.
• Senior third baseman Brylie Ware needs just 11 hits to top the 200-hit plateau in his three-year OU career. He is the 41st Sooner to total 100 hits, 100 RBIs and 100 runs in his career. He led the team with a .333 batting average last week, and has hit safely in five consecutive games.
• Freshman Jaret Godman was outstanding in relief Saturday night, striking out seven batters over 4.2 innings and retiring 10 of his final 11 batters faced in the outing. In his last seven appearances, he has posted a 1.86 ERA and struck out 19 batters in 19.1 innings, allowing just four runs, six walks, 13 hits (0.98 WHIP) and a .191 opponent batting average. He also earned the victory in 5.0 innings at Wichita State.
• Sophomore Cade Cavalli is a semifinalist for the John Olerud Two-Way Player of the Year award. He was excellent in his first start since April 19 on Saturday night. He struck out five batters and allowed no hits and three walks in 3.0 scoreless innings before he reached his pitch limit for the outing. Cavalli, an All-America candidate and on the watch list for the John Olerud Two-Way Player of the Year award, is 5-2 with a 2.93 ERA in 11 starts and 55.1 innings this season on the mound. At the plate he has compiled a .319 batting average with 11 extra base hits, 17 RBIs and 16 runs scored in 24 games.
• Sophomore catcher Justin Mitchell provided the game-winning hit in the bottom of the 10th inning Saturday night, singling home sophomore outfielder Tanner Tredaway. It was OU’s second walkoff hit of the season (April 5 vs. TCU) and second extra-inning victory (April 28 at Kansas State). The Sooners are 2-2 in extra frames this season and have won each of the last two games that went past nine innings.
• Tredaway leads OU in Big 12 play with a .327 batting average, 12 runs scored and a .431 on-base percentage. He has recorded a hit in 12 of 16 Big 12 starts and reached base in 14 of 18 Big 12 contests in which he has played.
• Junior catcher Brady Lindsly leads OU with 16 RBIs, 24 hits and eight extra base hits during Big 12 play. He has hit .286 and leads OU with 24 hits in conference games. Overall, he leads the team with four triples and is second with four home runs.
• Junior shortstop Brandon Zaragoza is on the watch list for the Brooks Wallace Award, given by the College Baseball Foundation to the nation’s top shortstop. He has reached base safely in 23 of his last 24 games.
• Junior Jason Ruffcorn is listed on the Stopper of the Year midseason update by the NCBWA, and ranks 24th nationally and first in the Big 12 with 10 saves. He also leads the league and ranks 27th nationally with 28 appearances.
ABOUT THE LONGHORNS
• The Longhorns are hitting .250 as a team, and averaging 5.5 runs and 2.1 extra base hits per game. Eric Kennedy leads the team with a .310 batting average and 38 runs scored while Austin Todd has a team-high 37 RBIs, 10 doubles and 35 runs scored.
• The Texas pitching staff has a 4.23 team ERA and 415 strikeouts against 235 walks in 444.2 innings, and allows opponents to hit .239.
• Texas has won two of three games in the last two regular season series, but the Sooners won the last two meetings last year. After Texas won the first two games of the series 7-6 and
• OU is 20-68-1 against Texas in Austin.