OU Baseball Notebook May 13
Overall Record: 31-20
Big 12 Record: 9-12
LAST WEEK RESULTS: 1-2
L 1-5 neutral vs. Oklahoma State
W 3-2 (10) neutral vs. Oklahoma State
L 7-10 home vs. Oklahoma State
THIS WEEK SCHEDULE:
Thursday, May 16 at Texas – 6:30 p.m. (Austin, Texas)
Friday, May 17 at Texas – 6:30 p.m. (Austin, Texas)
Saturday, May 18 at Texas – 2:30 p.m. (Austin, Texas)
KEY NOTES OF WEEK
● The Sooners rank 32nd nationally in ERA (3.68), eighth in double plays (50), 10th in sacrifice bunts (50), 27th in sacrifice flies (28) and 19th in fielding percentage (.979). OU batters have drawn 259 walks, a total that ranks 32nd nationally.
● Oklahoma ranks second in the Big 12 in fewest walks per nine innings (3.74) and third in ERA (3.68).
● Of Oklahoma’s final 32 regular season games, 29 will have come against opponents ranked in the top 100 of the RPI, including 12 against the RPI top 50. Only 12 of those contests were played at home while 18 will have been on the road and two played at neutral sites.
● Senior third baseman Brylie Ware needs just 11 hits to top the 200-hit plateau in his three-year OU career. He is already the 41st Sooner to total 100 hits, 100 RBIs and 100 runs in his career. He led the team with a .333 batting average last week.
● Freshman Jaret Godman was outstanding in relief Saturday night, striking out seven batters over 4.2 innings and retiring 10 of his final 11 batters faced in the outing. In his last seven appearances, he has posted a 1.86 ERA and struck out 19 batters in 19.1 innings, allowing just four runs, six walks, 13 hits (0.98 WHIP) and a .191 opponent batting average. He also earned the victory in 5.0 innings at Wichita State.
● Sophomore Cade Cavalli was excellent in his first start since April 19 on Saturday night. He struck out five batters and allowed no hits and three walks in 3.0 scoreless innings before he reached his pitch limit for the outing. Cavalli, an All-America candidate and on the watch list for the John Olerud Two-Way Player of the Year award, is 5-2 with a 2.93 ERA in 11 starts and 55.1 innings this season on the mound. At the plate he has compiled a .319 batting average with 11 extra base hits, 17 RBIs and 16 runs scored in 24 games.
● Sophomore catcher Justin Mitchell provided the game-winning hit in the bottom of the 10th inning Saturday night, singling home sophomore outfielder Tanner Tredaway. It was OU’s second walkoff hit of the season (April 5 vs. TCU) and second extra-inning victory (April 28 at Kansas State). The Sooners are 2-2 in extra frames this season and have won each of the last two games that went past nine innings.
● Prior to Sunday’s game the Sooners honored seniors Ware, Blake Brewster and Ryan Madden, who have been a part of 134 wins and two NCAA regional appearances to this point.