NCAA Run Comes to an End at Wake Forest
WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. – The No. 21 Oklahoma men’s tennis team’s NCAA run came to an end Friday with a 4-1 loss to No. 3 Wake Forest in the Winston-Salem Super Regional.
The Sooners (17-11) grabbed the doubles point, but ultimately fell to the Demon Deacons.
“Our goal was to always play our best tennis at the end of the season and I thought we did that,” said OU head coach Nick Crowell. “We made a good run and the guys really came together as a team and continued to establish our program as one of the top in the country.”
“I just want to say thank you to my three seniors, Spencer (Papa), Alex (Bakshi) and Ferran (Calvo). They’ve been amazing in their careers here and Sooner nation should be proud of those guys.”
In doubles, Spencer Papa and Max Stewart set the Sooners up with a 6-3 win over Siddhant Banthia and Melios Efstathiou on court three. Papa and Stewart jumped out to a 3-0 lead to start the match before Wake Forest got on the board.
Jake Van Emburgh and Ferran Calvo captured the point for OU when they took down Borna Gojo and Julian Zlobinsky 6-3 at the No. 2 line. The Sooners’ duo led the entire match, only letting the Demon Deacons within one game at 4-3 before taking over to win the next two and close out the contest.
When play was halted, No. 25 Alex Bakshi and Stefano Tsorotiotis trailed No. 55 Bar Botzer and Petros Chrysochos 5-2 on court one.
In singles, No. 41 Bakshi was defeated by No. 8 Chrysochos 6-4, 6-3 at the No. 2 spot. On court six, Jochen Bertsch fell to Banthia 6-3, 6-2. Mason Beiler dropped to Efstathiou 6-4, 6-2 on court five.
No. 31 Papa trailed No. 11 Gojo 5-2 in the second set on court one when play was halted. The senior dropped the first set after a tiebreaker 7-6 (3).
No. 77 Van Emburgh was tied with No. 50 Botzer at 2-all in set two on court three. Van Emburgh overcame a 5-3 deficit to win the first frame after a tiebreaker 7-6 (5).
OU finishes the season at 17-11 overall. The Sooners earned their 10th straight NCAA tournament berth and captured their sixth NCAA Regional title in seven seasons in 2019.
Three Sooners will represent OU in the NCAA Individual Championships set for May 20-25 at the USTA National Campus in Orlando, Fla. Papa and Bakshi will compete in the singles tournament while Bakshi and Tsorotiotis will team up in the doubles draw.
1. Spencer Papa (OU) vs. #11 Borna Gojo (WF), 6-7 (3), 2-5, unfinished
2. #8 Petros Chrysochos (WF) def. #41 Alex Bakshi (OU), 6-4, 6-3
3. #77 Jake Van Emburgh (OU) vs. #50 Bar Botzer (WF), 7-6 (5), 2-2, unfinished
4. Rrezart Cungu (WF) def. Ferran Calvo (OU), 6-3, 6-3
5. Melios Efstathiou (WF) def. Mason Beiler (OU) 6-4, 6-2
6. Siddhant Banthia (WF) def. Jochen Bertsch (OU), 6-3, 6-3
1. #55 Bar Botzer/Petros Chrysochos (WF) vs. #25 Alex Bakshi/Stefano Tsorotiotis (OU), 5-2, unfinished
2. Jake Van Emburgh/Ferran Calvo (OU) def. Borna Gojo/Julian Zlobinsky (WF), 6-3
3. Spencer Papa/Max Stewart (OU) def. Siddhant Banthia/Melios Efstathiou (WF), 6-3
Order of Finish: Singles (6,2,4,5); Doubles: (3,2)