Sooners Set for Bedlam Series
ONEOK Field/Chickasaw Bricktown Ballpark/L. Dale Mitchell Park
|First Pitch||Oklahoma||Oklahoma State|
|Fri. 7 p.m.||RHP-Nathan Wiles (7-2, 3.81)||RHP-Jensen Elliott (6-3, 4.24)|
|Sat. 7 p.m.||RHP-Cade Cavalli (5-2, 3.10)||LHP-Parker Scott (2-1, 1.65)|
|Sun. 2 p.m.||LHP-Levi Prater (6-4, 2.45)||RHP-Brett Standlee (2-1, 4.00|
• Bedlam. Oklahoma and Oklahoma State have met more than 300 times on the diamond, and the in-state foes renew their annual rivalry played around the state this weekend.
• The Sooners and Cowboys face off at 7 p.m. Friday at ONEOK Field in Tulsa, 7 p.m. Saturday at Chickasaw Bricktown Ballpark in Oklahoma City, and conclude the Bedlam Series in Norman, with a 2 p.m. contest at L. Dale Mitchell Park.
• Sunday is Senior Day for three Sooners: Blake Brewster, Ryan Madden and Brylie Ware. The seniors will be honored in a pregame ceremony on the field.
• At 8-10 in Big 12 play, the Sooners are tied for fifth place in the league standings with six games to play. The Cowboys are 10-8 in the Big 12 and in third place in the standings.
• OSU leads the overall series against OU, 164-142.
• Oklahoma is No. 43 in the most recent NCAA RPI rankings through May 8 games. The Sooners are 13-10 in road games and have 14 wins in 28 games against opponents in the top 100 of the RPI rankings. OU is one of five Big 12 schools in the RPI top 50, joining Texas Tech (8), West Virginia (15), Oklahoma State (11), West Virginia (15) and Baylor (27). With Texas (54), Kansas State (71), TCU (73), and Kansas (78), every Big 12 school ranks in the top 80 of the RPI.
• All six of Oklahoma's remaining are against teams currently ranked in the top 100 of the NCAA RPI. Only Sunday's game will be played at OU's home ballpark, while two will be at neutral sites with OU as the home team and three will be on the road. Of its final 32 games of the regular season, 28 are against teams ranked in the top 100 of the RPI, including 13 against the RPI top 50.
ON THE AIR
• The games will air on Sportstalk 1400 AM/99.3 FM and the Sooner Sports Network with Toby Rowland and Ross Hubbard on the call.
• The games on Friday and Saturday in Tulsa and Oklahoma City will be live streamed via SoonerSports.tv.
• The series finale on Sunday will be televised on FOX Sports Oklahoma Plus, with Chad McKee and George Frazier providing commentary.
ABOUT THE SOONERS
• OU is in its second year under the direction of head coach Skip Johnson. Johnson is 68-43 as OU head coach, and led the Sooners to an NCAA regional appearance last season.
• Oklahoma won its 2,600th game in program history on March 24. The Sooners are 2,609-1,515-12 (.632) all-time in their 119th season of competition.
• OU has allowed three or fewer runs in 24 of 48 games this season, and allowed one or zero runs 13 times.
• OU ranks 24th nationally in ERA (3.58), 20th in double plays (43), 55th in triples (14), ninth in sacrifice bunts (41) and 19th in fielding percentage (.979). OU batters have drawn 251 walks, a total that ranks 27th nationally.
• OU leads the Big 12 in team ERA and fewest walks per nine innings (3.73), and ranks fourth in opponent batting average (.242). The Sooners lead the conference in runners picked off (seven), paced by a league-high five runners picked off by Levi Prater.
• OU is batting .267 as a team and averaging 5.6 runs per game, with 87 doubles, 14 triples and 22 home runs. The Sooners allow opponents 4.0 runs per game and a .242 batting average.
• The Sooners have a 3.58 team ERA with 412 strikeouts to 178 walks in 429.1 innings.
• Senior third baseman Brylie Ware has totaled 185 hits, 103 RBIs and 100 runs scored in his three-year career at OU. He is the 41st player in Oklahoma baseball history to total at least 100 hits, 100 RBIs and 100 runs scored in his career. Ware is a career .300 hitter at OU with 10 home runs and 40 doubles. His 40 doubles rank 21st in program history.
• Junior catcher Brady Lindsly leads OU with 16 RBIs and seven extra base hits during Big 12 play. He hit .462 (6-13) with two home runs, six RBIs, three runs scored and a 1.423 OPS last week against Texas Tech. He hit two-run home runs on Friday and Saturday, and added a two-run single on Friday.
• Sophomore outfielder Tanner Tredaway leads the Sooners with a .333 batting average in Big 12 play. He has hit safely in seven of his last 10 games, and is hitting .382 (13-34) with three doubles, five RBIs and six runs scored in his last 10 contests. He hit .364 (4-11) and scored three runs last week against Texas Tech.
• Sophomore Levi Prater allowed one run on three hits over 6.0 innings last Saturday. It was his eighth time in 12 starts this season to last at least 6.0 innings (and fourth in a row), and the sixth time he has allowed one run or fewer. It was also the eighth time he has averaged at least one strikeout per inning in a start this season. He is averaging 10.9 K/9 IP this season, best among OU starters.
• Junior shortstop Brandon Zaragoza is on the watch list for the Brooks Wallace Award, given by the College Baseball Foundation to the nation's top shortstop. He has reached base safely in 21 consecutive games. He is batting .295 (23-78) in that span with 11 runs scored, eight RBIs and 12 walks in that span.
• Sophomore first baseman Tyler Hardman has reached base safely in 20 straight games and hit safely in his last four contests.
• Junior Jason Ruffcorn is listed on the Stopper of the Year midseason update by the NCBWA, and ranks 21st nationally and first in the Big 12 with 10 saves. He also leads the league and ranks 12th nationally with 27 appearances.
ABOUT THE COWBOYS
• The Cowboys have won seven of its last 10 games, including a road sweep at Oregon State last weekend.
• OSU is hitting .275 as a team, and averaging 6.6 runs and 3.5 extra base hits per game. Carson McCusker leads the team with a .328 batting average and 14 doubles. Trevor Boone has a team-high 16 home runs and 42 RBIs.
• The Cowboys pitching staff has a 4.13 team ERA and 379 strikeouts against 194 walks in 390.1 innings, and allows opponents to hit .251.
• OSU won 6-5 back on March 26 in Stillwater, and four meetings last season, 7-1 (Norman), 8-0 (Stillwater), and 10-1 and 9-2 (Tulsa).
• OU last defeated OSU in 2016 with a 3-1 victory in Tulsa.
• The series dates back to 1942.
L. DALE MITCHELL PARK CLEAR BAG POLICY/STADIUM ENTRY
• The approved clear plastic bag size is a maximum of 12 inches x 6 inches x 12 inches or a one-gallon clear plastic freezer bag. Stadium policy will allow non-transparent clutch purses that are no larger than 4.5 inches by 6.5 inches.
• In addition, metal detectors will be located at each stadium entrance gate.
• Lawn chairs and metal frame seats with chairbacks are allowed in L. Dale Mitchell Park, and will be required to go through appropriate security screening at the main gate west entrance.
• For more information, visit SoonerSports.com/gameday.