Singles Comeback Sparks Win over Winthrop
CHAPEL HILL, N.C. — The No. 32 Oklahoma women’s tennis team used four singles wins to defeat Winthrop 4-2 in the first round of the NCAA tournament at the Cone-Kenfield Tennis Center in Chapel Hill, North Carolina.
The Sooners (17-8) dropped the doubles point but tallied victories from Camila Romero, Kianah Motosono, Oleksandra Korashvili and Ivana Corley to take the match.
“I am really proud of how the girls competed today and everybody fought hard on their court,” head coach Audra Cohen said. “It’s a great moment for the program because we have come such a far way from the first match to where we are now.”
Despite dropping the doubles point, the Sooners secured a victory from juniors Korashvili and Jasmine Asghar, who took down Megan Kauffman and Lauren Proctor 6-3 in the top spot.
Romero and Martina Capurro fell to Rafaela Santos and Alisa Soloveva 7-5 on court two. Ivana Corley and Kianah Motosono dropped 4-6 to Ellie Burns and Tayla Van Eck at the No. 3 spot.
Romero started singles play strong with a win over Santos. Romero won both sets 6-3, 6-2 on court three to put the Sooners on the board.
Freshman Motosono defeated Van Eck 6-3, 6-2. Motosono’s win at the fifth spot tied the match at 2-all.
No. 26 Korashvili tallied a win over No. 55 Proctor. Korashvili’s 6-3, 6-3 win in the top spot put the Sooners ahead 3-2. The Sooner never trailed in her match.
Freshman Corley came up big for the Sooners clinching the win in the last match of the day. Corley won set one 6-4 then tied set two 6-6. The Sooner came out on top during the tie-breaker with a score of 11-9.
Capurro fell to Soloveva 6-2, 6-3 on court two. Ashgar dropped to Kauffman 6-3, 4-6, 6-3 at the No. 6 line.
“Postseason is a privilege and today was an opportunity to get better,” assistant coach Amy Sargeant said. “It’s not over yet – let’s keep dancing.”
The Sooners will face the winner of North Carolina vs. South Carolina State in the second round on Sunday, May 5 at noon CT.
1. #26 Oleksandra Korashvili (OU) def. #55 Lauren Proctor (WIN) 6-3, 6-3
2. Alisa Soloveva (WIN) def. Martina Capurro (OU) 6-2, 6-3
3. Camila Romero (OU) def. Rafaela Santos (WIN) 6-3, 6-2
4. Megan Kauffman (WIN) def. Jasmine Asghar (OU) 6-3, 4-6, 6-3
5. Kianah Motosono (OU) def. Tayla Van Eck (WIN) 6-3, 6-2
6. Ivana Corley (OU) def. Ellie Burns (WIN) 6-4, 7-6 (11-9)
1. Oleksandra Korashvili/Jasmine Asghar (OU) def. #44 Lauren Proctor/Megan Kauffman (WIN) 6-3
2. Alisa Soloveva/Rafaela Santos (WIN) def. Martina Capurro/Camila Romero (OU) 7-5
3. Tayla Van Eck/Ellie Burns (WIN) def. Ivana Corley/Kianah Motosono (OU) 6-4
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (3,2,5,1,4,6)