OU Baseball Notebook April 22
Overall Record: 27-14
Big 12 Record: 6-6
LAST WEEK RESULTS: 2-2
L 3-2 on road at Oral Roberts
L 8-1 on road at Minnesota
W 2-1 on road at Minnesota
W 5-2 on road at Minnesota
THIS WEEK SCHEDULE:
Tuesday, April 23 at Wichita State – 6 p.m. (Wichita, Kan.)
Friday, April 26 at Kansas State – 6 p.m. (Manhattan, Kan.)
Saturday, April 27 at Kansas State – 4 p.m. (Manhattan, Kan.)
Sunday, April 28 at Kansas State – 1 p.m. (Manhattan, Kan.)
KEY NOTES OF WEEK
● The Sooners rank 15th nationally in ERA (3.24), 12th in double plays (38), 24th in triples (14), 20th in shutouts (4) and 17th in fielding percentage (.979). OU batters have drawn 209 walks, a total that ranks 29th nationally.
● Oklahoma leads the Big 12 in fewest walks per nine innings (3.69) and is second in ERA (3.24; leader WVU is at 3.22). Offensively, OU is fourth in the conference in on base percentage (.383), first in triples and third in doubles (77).
● All thirteen of Oklahoma’s remaining are against teams currently ranked in the top 100 of the NCAA RPI, including nine games against teams in the RPI top 50. Only four of those remaining games will be play at OU’s home ballpark.
● Sophomore Cade Cavalli is on the midseason watch list for the John Olerud Two-Way Player of the Year award and the National Pitcher of the Year award, which are presented by the College Baseball Foundation. On the mound, he is 5-2 with a 3.10 ERA in 10 starts, with 49 strikeouts and a .244 opponent batting average in 52.1 innings. At the plate, he is batting .319 with five doubles, four home runs, two triples, 17 RBIs, 16 runs scored and nine walks in 72 at bats.
● Freshman Ben Abram is also on National Pitcher of the Year award watch list. He is 6-1 with a 2.68 ERA in nine starts, with 46 strikeouts to nine walks and a .233 opponent batting average in 50.1 innings.
● Junior shortstop Brandon Zaragoza is on the watch list for the Brooks Wallace Award, given by the College Baseball Foundation to the nation’s top shortstop. He is batting .271 with a team-high 33 runs scored and is third on the team with 24 RBIs. He has totaled seven doubles and 29 walks and posted a .958 fielding percentage in 168 chances. He is on an eight-game hitting streak and has reached base in each of his last 14 contests.
● Junior outfielder Brady Harlan hit his first collegiate home run on Sunday – a three-run shot that gave the Sooners a 3-2 lead in the fifth inning. Harlan, a graduate of the University of Texas who is playing his first season since 2016, did not homer in his one season playing at UT. He only hit one home run in high school.
● Junior Jason Ruffcorn earned saves in both the Saturday and Sunday wins. He leads Big 12 and ranks seventh nationally in saves (10). He also leads the league and ranks fourth nationally with 24 appearances.
● Freshman Wyatt Olds ranks 12th nationally and second in the Big 12 with 23 appearances. He has pitched 19 scoreless outings in his 23 appearances this season.