Baseball on the Road at Oral Roberts Tuesday
|First Pitch||Oklahoma||Oral Roberts|
|Tues. 6 p.m.||RHP-Ben Abram (6-0, 2.35)||RHP-Isaac Coffey (1-2, 5.61)|
• Oklahoma continues its 11-game road swing Tuesday with trip up the Turner Turnpike to Tulsa for a contest at Oral Roberts. First pitch is set for 6 p.m.
• The game will be available on ESPN+ and the Sooner Sports Radio Network.
• The first meeting between the schools this season needed extra frames, as ORU prevailed 4-2 in 11 innings.
• Tuesday’s game kicks off five straight non-conference contests for the Sooners. This weekend OU will trek up to Minneapolis for a three-game series at Minnesota.
• OU ranks 15th in the country with a 3.22 team ERA. The Sooners rank 15th in the country in double plays (33), 19th in triples (14), 19th in shutouts (4) and 17th in fielding percentage (.979). OU batters have drawn 196 walks, a total that ranks 18th nationally.
• Oklahoma is No. 39 in the most recent NCAA RPI rankings through April 14 games. The Sooners are 8-7 in road games and have seven wins in 16 games against opponents in the top 100 of the RPI rankings. OU is one of six Big 12 schools in the RPI top 50, joining Texas Tech (15), West Virginia (16), Oklahoma State (29), Texas (31) and Baylor (40). TCU (66) and Kansas State (86) both rank in the top 90 of the RPI.
• Sixteen of Oklahoma’s final 17 games are against teams currently ranked in the top 100 of the NCAA RPI, including nine games against teams in the RPI top 50. Four of those contests will be played at home, two at neutral sites and 10 will be played on the road.
ON THE AIR
• Tuesday’s game will air on Sportstalk 1400 AM/99.3 FM and the Sooner Sports Network with Toby Rowland on the call. The game will be broadcast on online via ESPN+.
ABOUT THE SOONERS
• OU is in its second year under the direction of head coach Skip Johnson. Johnson is 63-37 as OU head coach, and led the Sooners to an NCAA regional appearance last season.
• Oklahoma won its 2,600th game in program history on March 24. The Sooners are 2,604-1,509-12 (.633) all-time in their 119th season of competition.
• OU has allowed three or fewer runs in 21 of 37 games this season, and allowed one or zero runs 12 times.
• OU leads the Big 12 in ERA (3.22) and fewest walks per nine innings (3.55), and tied for first in the league with a .979 fielding percentage. Offensively, OU is fourth in the conference in on base percentage (.383), first in triples and tied for second in doubles (70).
• OU is batting .271 as a team and averaging 6.0 runs per game, with 70 doubles, 14 triples and 18 home runs. The Sooners allow opponents 3.7 runs per game and a .237 batting average.
• The Sooners have a 3.22 team ERA with 320 strikeouts to 131 walks in 332.1 innings. The starting pitchers have a 2.71 ERA and have struck out 199 batters and allowed 176 hits in 206.0 innings.
• Junior shortstop Brandon Zaragoza led the Sooners in hitting last week with a .375 average and four runs scored. He has reached base in each of the last 10 games and has a hit in the last four. He had two hits in each game Saturday and Sunday (batting .455 in the series), and is fourth on the team this season with 11 multiple hit games.
• Senior third baseman Brylie Ware led OU with seven RBIs and scored three runs in four games last week. He doubled, tripled and homered and compiled a .688 slugging percentage. His three-run home run in the third inning Friday night gave the Sooners a lead it would not lose in the game.
• Senior outfielder Blake Brewster doubled, drove in two runs and scored a run in six at bats last week. On Tuesday against Texas Southern, he drove in a run with a pinch-hit sacrifice fly, then singled a run home. In his start on Sunday at Baylor, he doubled and scored the tying run in the fifth inning.
• Sophomore outfielder Jordan Vujovich ranks 26th nationally averaging 1.0 walk per game and ranks 26th with 32 walks on the season. He has reached base in 25 of the 27 games in which he has started this season.
• Junior Jason Ruffcorn leads Big 12 and ranks 13th nationally in saves (8). He also leads the league and ranks fifth nationally with 22 appearances.
• Freshman Wyatt Olds ranks fifth nationally and is tied with Ruffcorn to lead the Big 12 with 22 appearances. He has pitched 18 scoreless outings in his 22 appearances this season.
• Freshman Ben Abram is one of two pitchers in the Big 12 with six wins, which ranks 20th in the nation (leaders have eight victories). He also ranks 31st nationally in strikeout-to-walk ratio (6.2) while junior Nathan Wiles is 34th in K/BB ratio (5.9). and 20th walks allowed per nine innings (1.13).
ABOUT THE GOLDEN EAGLES
• The Golden Eagles are 2-5 since winning at OU on April 2, most recently taking two of three games at home against Omaha.
• ORU is hitting .265 as a team, and averaging 6.1 runs and 3.2 extra base hits per game. Spencer Henson leads the team with a .347 batting average and 30 RBIs, while Hunter Wilson bats .328 and has scored a team-high 27 runs.
• The Golden Eagles have a 5.24 team ERA and 273 strikeouts against 150 walks in 290.0 innings. Tuesday starter Isaac Coffey has made eight starts, turning in a 1-2 record and 5.61 ERA in 33.2 innings.
• The Sooners have won four of the last six in the series, dating back to the second meeting of the 2016 season.
• ORU won 4-2 (11 innings) back on April 2 in Norman. OU won both meetings last season, 5-2 in Tulsa and 20-3 in Norman.
• The teams split two games in 2016 and 2017, with each team winning on its home field.
• OU won five straight between 2012 and 2013, followed by four ORU wins in a row between 2014 and 2016.
• Oral Roberts leads the series in Tulsa, 16-13. The Sooners won the first eight meetings in the series, which dates back to 1970.