OU Baseball Notebook April 15
Overall Record: 25-12
Big 12 Record: 6-6
LAST WEEK RESULTS: 2-2
W 10-2 at home vs. Texas Southern
W 7-5 on road at No. 17 Baylor
L 3-7 on road at No. 17 Baylor
L 2-3 (11) on road at No. 17 Baylor
THIS WEEK SCHEDULE:
Tuesday, April 16 at Oral Roberts – 6 p.m. (Tulsa, Okla.)
Friday, April 19 at Minnesota – 6:30 p.m. (Minneapolis, Minn.)
Saturday, April 20 at Minnesota – 2 p.m. (Minneapolis, Minn.)
Sunday, April 21 at Minnesota – 11 a.m. (Minneapolis, Minn.)
KEY NOTES OF WEEK
● The Sooners rank 15th nationally in ERA (3.22), 15th in double plays (33), 19th in triples (14), 19th in shutouts (4) and 17th in fielding percentage (.979). OU batters have drawn 196 walks, a total that ranks 18th nationally.
● Oklahoma leads the Big 12 in ERA and fewest walks per nine innings (3.55). Offensively, OU is fourth in the conference in on base percentage (.383), first in triples and tied for second in doubles (70).
● Sixteen of Oklahoma’s final 17 games are against teams currently ranked in the top 100 of the NCAA RPI, including nine games against teams in the RPI top 50. Only four of those remaining games will be play at OU’s home ballpark.
● Junior shortstop Brandon Zaragoza led the Sooners in hitting last week with a .375 average and four runs scored. He has reached base in each of the last 10 games and has a hit in the last four. He had two hits in each game Saturday and Sunday (batting .455 in the series), and is fourth on the team this season with 11 multiple hit games.
● Senior third baseman Brylie Ware led OU with seven RBIs and scored three runs in four games last week. He doubled, tripled and homered and compiled a .688 slugging percentage. His three-run home run in the third inning Friday night gave the Sooners a lead it would not lose in the game.
● Senior outfielder Blake Brewster doubled, drove in two runs and scored a run in six at bats last week. On Tuesday against Texas Southern, he drove in a run with a pinch-hit sacrifice fly, then singled a run home. In his start on Sunday at Baylor, he doubled and scored the tying run in the fifth inning.
● Sophomore outfielder Jordan Vujovich ranks 26th nationally averaging 1.0 walk per game and ranks 26th with 32 walks on the season. He has reached base in 25 of the 27 games in which he has started this season.
● Junior Jason Ruffcorn leads Big 12 and ranks 13th nationally in saves (8). He also leads the league and ranks fifth nationally with 22 appearances.
● Freshman Wyatt Olds ranks fifth nationally and is tied with Ruffcorn to lead the Big 12 with 22 appearances. He has pitched 18 scoreless outings in his 22 appearances this season.
● Freshman Ben Abram is one of two pitchers in the Big 12 with six wins, which ranks 20th in the nation (leaders have eight victories). He also ranks 31st nationally in strikeout-to-walk ratio (6.2) while junior Nathan Wiles is 34th in K/BB ratio (5.9). and 20th walks allowed per nine innings (1.13).