OU Defeated by No. 1 Longhorns
NORMAN – The No. 21 Oklahoma men’s tennis team fell to No. 1 Texas 5-2 Sunday in Norman.
The Sooners (14-9, 1-4) grabbed a doubles victory and singles wins from Alex Bakshi and Stefano Tsorotiotis in the contest.
Texas took the doubles point, but Bakshi and Tsorotiotis upset No. 6 Harrison Scott and Christian Sigsgaard 6-4 at the top spot. The frame was tied at every game up to 3-all before the Sooners took over.
On court two, Jake Van Emburgh and Ferran Calvo dropped an extended match to Colin Markes and Leonardo Telles 7-5. Spencer Papa and Max Stewart fell to Chih Chi Huang and Yuya Ito 6-4 on court three.
No. 67 Bakshi tallied a win on his senior day, downing No. 73 Telles 6-4, 6-2 on court three. The first frame saw ties at every game up to 4-all before Bakshi won the next two games to put it away. The senior held Telles to just two games in the second. The win was good for Bakshi’s sixth over a ranked opponent.
Tsorotiotis held on for a three-set victory over Huang on court six. Tsorotiotis won the first set handily, domininating 6-2. Huang answered to take set two 6-3 and force a third. The final set went to a tiebreaker with Tsorotiotis prevailing 7-6 (3).
On court one, No. 31 Papa took No. 8 Sigsgaard to the wire, but came up just short. Sigsgaard took the first set 6-4, but Papa took set two 6-4. Sigsgaard came out on top of a 10-point tiebreaker 10-7.
No. 63 Van Emburgh fell to No. 7 Ito 6-3, 7-5 on court two. Calvo fell to No. 50 Scott 6-2, 6-4 on court four. At the No. 5 line, Beiler was defeated by Markes 6-4, 6-3.
OU heads to Lawrence, Kansas, April 18 for the 2019 Big 12 Tennis Championship. Seeds and match times will be announced at a later time.
1. #8 Christian Sigsgaard (UT) def. #31 Spencer Papa (OU) 6-4, 4-6, 1-0 (10-7)
2. Yuya Ito (UT) def. #63 Jake Van Emburgh (OU) 6-3, 7-5
3. #67 Alex Bakshi (OU) def. #73 Leonardo Telles (UT) 6-4, 6-2
4. #50 Harrison Scott (UT) def. Ferran Calvo (OU) 6-2, 6-4
5. Colin Markes (UT) def. Mason Beiler (OU) 6-4, 6-3
6. Stefano Tsorotiotis (OU) def. Chih Chi Huang (UT) 6-2, 3-6, 7-6 (7-3)
1. Alex Bakshi/Stefano Tsorotiotis (OU) def. Harrison Scott/Christian Sigsgaard (UT) 6-4 (0-5)
2. Colin Markes/Leonardo Telles (UT) def. Jake Van Emburgh/Ferran Calvo (OU) 7-5
3. Chih Chi Huang/Yuya Ito (UT) def. Max Stewart/Spencer Papa (OU) 6-4
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (4,5,2,3,1,6)