Baseball Begins Series at Baylor Friday
|Fri. 6:30 p.m.||RHP-Cade Cavalli (4-1, 2.30)||RHP-Jimmy Winston (3-0, 0.95)|
|Sat. 3 p.m.||RHP-Nathan Wiles (5-1, 3.28)||LHP-Paul Dickens (3-1, 4.01)|
|Sun. 3 p.m.||LHP-Levi Prater (5-3, 2.22)||TBD|
• Oklahoma begins an 11-game road swing with a Big 12 series this weekend at No. 17 Baylor. Game times are 6:30 p.m. Friday, 3 p.m. Saturday and 3 p.m. Sunday.
• The games Friday and Saturday will be televised on FOX Sports platforms while Sunday’s game will be televised on ESPNU. Radio broadcast will be available for only the Saturday and Sunday games.
• OU leads the overall series with Baylor, 45-39, but the Bears hold a 21-14 advantage in Waco.
• During the road swing, the Sooners play series at Minnesota and Kansas State, with midweek games at Oral Roberts and Wichita State.
• OU ranks 15th in the country with a 3.11 team ERA. The Sooners rank 10th in the country in double plays (31), 12th in triples (14), 16th in shutouts (4) and 18th in fielding percentage (.979). OU batters have drawn 183 walks, a total that ranks 19th nationally.
• Oklahoma is No. 34 in the most recent NCAA RPI rankings through April 7 games. The Sooners are 7-5 in road games and have six wins in 14 games against opponents in the top 100 of the RPI rankings. OU is one of six Big 12 schools in the RPI top 50, joining Texas Tech, West Virginia, Texas, Oklahoma State and Baylor.
• Sixteen of Oklahoma’s final 20 games are against teams currently ranked in the top 100 of the NCAA RPI, including 12 games against teams in the RPI top 50.
ON THE AIR
• Friday’s game will be televised on FOX Sports Southwest Plus. No OU radio broadcast will be available due to the OU football spring game Friday night.
• Saturday’s game will air on Sportstalk 1400 AM/99.3 FM and the Sooner Sports Network with Toby Rowland and Ross Hubbard on the call. The game will be broadcast on online via FOX Sports GO.
• Sunday’s game will be televised on ESPNU, and Rowland and Hubbard will have the radio call. Announcing on ESPNU will be provided by Roxy Bernstein and Mike Rooney.
ABOUT THE SOONERS
• OU is in its second year under the direction of head coach Skip Johnson. Johnson is 62-35 as OU head coach, and led the Sooners to an NCAA regional appearance last season.
• Oklahoma won its 2,600th game in program history on March 24. The Sooners are 2,603-1,507-12 (.633) all-time in their 119th season of competition.
• OU has allowed three or fewer runs in 20 of 33 games this season, and allowed one or zero runs 12 times.
• OU leads the Big 12 in ERA and fewest walks per nine innings (3.59), and tied for first in the league with a .979 fielding percentage. Offensively, the Sooners are fourth in the conference in runs scored (211) and RBIs (192).
• OU is batting .278 as a team and averaging 6.2 runs per game, with 65 doubles, 14 triples and 16 home runs. The Sooners allow opponents 3.6 runs per game and a .232 batting average.
• The Sooners have a 3.11 team ERA with 301 strikeouts to 121 walks in 303.2 innings. The starting pitchers have a 2.45 ERA and have struck out 188 batters and allowed 152 hits in 187.1 innings.
• Sophomore outfielder Jordan Vujovich ranks 19th nationally averaging 1.0 walk per game and ranks 27th with 29 walks on the season. He has reached base in 23 of the 24 games in which he has started this season.
• Freshman Diego Muniz has reached base in eight straight games. In that span he has eight hits in 25 at bats and has drawn 12 walks, reaching base at a .553 clip. He has five RBIs and seven runs scored in that span. Last weekend against TCU, he batted .455 with three doubles and a home run and accounted for eight of OU’s 13 runs scored in the series.
• Sophomore first baseman Tyler Hardman has a hit in four straight games and has reached base in six straight. He is 8-for-16 with a walk in the last four contests. He has 49 hits on the season, which is tied for the lead in the Big 12. He also ranks fourth in the conference with 31 RBIs and is second with 76 total bases.
• Junior Jason Ruffcorn is tied for the Big 12 lead and ranks 19th nationally in saves (7). He also leads the league and ranks sixth nationally with 20 appearances.
• Sophomore Justin Mitchell has reached base in each of his last nine games and has a four-game hitting streak. He has two doubles, four walks, six RBIs and four runs scored in that span.
• Freshman Wyatt Olds ranks sixth nationally and is tied with Ruffcorn to lead the Big 12 with 20 appearances. Sophomore Levi Prater ranks second in the Big 12 with a .182 opponent batting average.
ABOUT THE BEARS
• The Bears split two games with Texas last weekend and fell at UT Arlington 2-1 in 13 innings on Tuesday.
• Baylor is hitting .313 as a team, and averaging 7.2 runs and 3.6 extra base hits per game. Davis Wendzel leads the team with a .383 batting average, 26 RBIs and 13 doubles while Nick Loftin is batting .363 with 26 RBIs and 34 runs scored.
• The Bears have a 3.25 team ERA and 288 strikeouts against 146 walks in 280.0 innings pitched. Friday starter Jimmy Winston is 3-0 with a 0.95 ERA, with 26 strikeouts and 13 walks in 38.0 innings. Saturday starter Paul Dickens is 3-1 with a 4.01 ERA and has posted 54 strikeouts and 14 walks in 42.2 innings. Top reliever Kyle Hill is 4-0 with four saves in 16 appearances, has allowed no runs and has tallied 21 strikeouts to six hits and six walks in 17.1 innings.
• Oklahoma swept the regular season series last season in Norman (4-2, 5-4 and 6-1), but Baylor won twice in the Big 12 Tournament (4-0 and 10-3).
• The Sooners took two of three games in 2017 in Waco, winning 11-3 and 3-0 around a 7-0 BU win, but the Bears lead the overall series in Waco, 21-14.