Baseball Hosts Texas Southern in Midweek Pair
|First Pitch||Oklahoma||Texas Southern|
|Tues. 5:30 p.m.||RHP-Ben Abram (5-0, 2.47)||TBA|
|Wed. 3 p.m.||TBA||TBA|
• Oklahoma closes out its six-game homestand with a pair of midweek contests against Texas Southern at L. Dale Mitchell Park. Game times are 5:30 p.m. Tuesday and 3 p.m. Wednesday.
• Following the midweek games, the Sooners embark on an 11-game road swing beginning this weekend at Baylor.
• OU and Texas Southern met for the first time last year. The Sooners claimed 12-0 and 10-1 wins over the Tigers in Norman.
• The games will be televised on FOX Sports Oklahoma Plus with an audio simulcast on Sportstalk 1400AM/99.3 FM, and available on Sportstalk1400.com and the TuneIn mobile app.
• OU ranks 16th in the country with a 3.15 team ERA. The Sooners rank 10th in the country in double plays (30), 21st in triples (12), 15th in shutouts (4) and 15th in fielding percentage (.979). OU batters have drawn 176 walks, a total that ranks 18th nationally.
• OU leads the Big 12 in ERA and fewest walks per nine innings (3.60), and ranks second in the league with a .979 fielding percentage. Offensively, the Sooners are fourth in the conference in runs scored (201) and RBIs (183).
• Oklahoma is No. 34 in the most recent NCAA RPI rankings through April 7 games. The Sooners are 7-5 in road games and have six wins in 14 games against opponents in the top 100 of the RPI rankings. OU is one of six Big 12 schools in the RPI top 50, joining Texas Tech, West Virginia, Texas, Oklahoma State and Baylor.
• Sixteen of Oklahoma’s final 22 games are against teams currently ranked in the top 100 of the NCAA RPI, including 12 games against teams in the RPI top 50.
ON THE AIR
• The games on Tuesday and Wednesday will air on FOX Sports Oklahoma Plus and will be simulcast on the radio with Toby Rowland and George Frazier on the call. The radio broadcast will air on Sportstalk 1400 AM/99.3 FM will be streamed on Sportstalk1400.com and the TuneIn mobile app.
• Tuesday is the final Happy Hour game of the season. Fans can receive discounted items at concession stands from the time gates open until first pitch. Gates for Tuesday’s 5:30 p.m. game will open at 4 p.m.
• The ticket office and gates open 90 minutes prior to the scheduled game time. The ticket office and will call windows are located behind home plate, along W. Imhoff Rd.
CLEAR BAG POLICY/STADIUM ENTRY
• Consistent with all University of Oklahoma Athletics events, a clear bag policy is in effect for the 2019 baseball season at L. Dale Mitchell Park.
• The approved clear plastic bag size is a maximum of 12 inches x 6 inches x 12 inches or a one-gallon clear plastic freezer bag. Stadium policy will allow non-transparent clutch purses that are no larger than 4.5 inches by 6.5 inches.
• In addition, metal detectors will be located at each stadium entrance gate.
• Lawn chairs and metal frame seats with chairbacks are allowed in L. Dale Mitchell Park, and will be required to go through appropriate security screening at the main gate west entrance.
• For more information, visit SoonerSports.com/gameday.
ABOUT THE SOONERS
• OU is in its second year under the direction of head coach Skip Johnson. Johnson is 61-35 as OU head coach, and led the Sooners to an NCAA regional appearance last season.
• Oklahoma won its 2,600th game in program history on March 24. The Sooners are 2,602-1,507-12 (.633) all-time in their 119th season of competition.
• OU has allowed three or fewer runs in 19 of 33 games this season, and allowed one or zero runs 12 times.
• OU is batting .275 as a team and averaging 6.1 runs per game, with 63 doubles, 12 triples and 16 home runs. The Sooners allow opponents 3.7 runs per game and a .233 batting average.
• The Sooners have a 3.15 team ERA with 292 strikeouts to 118 walks in 294.2 innings. The starting pitchers have a 2.55 ERA and have struck out 184 batters and allowed 147 hits in 176.2 innings.
• On Friday, the Sooners won by walk-off (7-6 on a Brylie Ware single in the ninth inning) for the first time this season. It was OU’s first walk-off win since a 5-4 10th inning win over Baylor on March 30, 2018 on a double by Brady Lindsly.
• Sophomore outfielder Jordan Vujovich ranks 16th nationally averaging 1.0 walk per game and ranks 21st with 28 walks on the season. He has reached base in 21 of the 22 games in which he has started this season.
• Freshman Diego Muniz hit .455 (5-for-11) in the TCU series with three doubles, a home run, four RBIs and five runs scored. He also drew three walks and compiled a .600 on-base percentage and a 1.000 slugging percentage. Four of his five hits went for extra bases and he accounted for eight of OU’s 13 runs scored in the series.
• Sophomore first baseman Tyler Hardman also went 5-for-11 at the plate over the weekend, driving in two runs and scored twice. He has 46 hits on the season, which ranks second in the Big 12. He also ranks fourth in the conference with 31 RBIs and is tied for third with 72 total bases.
• Junior Jason Ruffcorn is tied for the Big 12 lead and ranks 18th nationally in saves (7). He also leads the league and ranks fourth nationally with 20 appearances.
• Freshman Wyatt Olds ranks 10th nationally and second in the Big 12 with 19 appearances. Freshman Ben Abram ranks 19th nationally in strikeout-to-walk ratio (7.8) and 20th walks allowed per nine innings (1.13). Sophomore Levi Prater ranks second in the Big 12 with a .182 opponent batting average.
ABOUT THE TIGERS
• The Tigers dropped two of three games at home last weekend to Grambling State, but have won five of their last eight contests.
• Texas Southern has played four opponents on the OU schedule already this season (Kansas, Texas, Baylor, UAPB). TSU went 1-3 vs. Kansas, 0-1 at Texas, 0-2 at Baylor and 1-2 at UAPB.
• TSU is hitting .268 as a team, and averaging 5.8 runs and 2.7 extra base hits per game. Keanu Van Kuren leads the team with a .331 batting average and 10 doubles while OJ Oloruntimilehin has nine home runs, 31 RBIs and 28 runs scored.
• The Tigers have an 8.42 team ERA and 189 strikeouts against 164 walks in 260.2 innings pitched.
• This is the second straight year the schools will play a two-game midweek series.
• OU won both contests last year, 12-0 and 10-1 in Norman.