OU Baseball Notebook March 18
Overall Record: 16-4
National Ranking: No. 25 by D1Baseball and Collegiate Baseball
LAST WEEK RESULTS: 3-1
W 9-1 at home vs. UT Arlington
L 8-11 at home vs. Missouri State
W 11-2 at home vs. Missouri State
W 6-1 at home vs. Missouri State
THIS WEEK SCHEDULE:
Tuesday, March 19 at New Mexico – 7 p.m. CT (Albuquerque, N.M.)
Wednesday, March 20 at New Mexico – 2 p.m. CT (Albuquerque, N.M.)
Friday, March 22 vs. Kansas – 6:30 p.m. (Norman, Okla.)
Saturday, March 23 vs. Kansas – 6 p.m. (Norman, Okla.)
Sunday, March 24 vs. Kansas – 1 p.m. (Norman, Okla.)
KEY NOTES OF WEEK
● For the second straight week, sophomore Levi Prater was outstanding in a rubber game to lead the Sooners to a series win. On Sunday, he posted a career-high 15 strikeouts and allowed one hit and one walk in seven innings. He struck out the side three times and twice struck out five in a row, including the final five batters of his outing.
● Prater's 15 strikeouts tied for the fourth-most in school history. The last OU pitcher to strike out 15 batters in a game was Jared Hoerman in 1999 against Central Oklahoma. Jackson Todd also struck out 15 batters in seven innings against LSU in 1972.
● Prater has allowed one run in his last three starts, spanning 21 innings. The solo home run in the fourth inning Sunday broke a 17-inning scoreless streak.
● In two games as the designated hitter this weekend, sophomore Cade Cavalli went 5-for-10 at the plate with two home runs. He hit a three-run homer on Saturday to open an 8-2 lead, and his two-run homer on Sunday made the score 5-1. In his start on the mound Friday, he struck out seven and allowed no runs in 5.1 innings.
● Junior second baseman Conor McKenna batted .600 (9-for-15) in four games last week, driving in one run in each contest and scoring three runs. He was 8-for-11 in the series against Missouri State. In the seventh inning on Saturday he made all three plays including a diving stop for the second out, and then led off the bottom half with a triple.
● Sophomore outfielder Jordan Vujovich reached base in 12 straight plate appearances through Friday's game, in which he drew five walks. He singled in his final at bat last Sunday at Rice, then reached five times against UT Arlington on Tuesday and six times on Friday. During his streak he collected four hits, seven walks and was hit by a pitch once.
● Junior Nathan Wiles was very good on Saturday, striking out nine batters and allowing two runs, four hits and one walk in OU's bounce back win to even the series.
● Freshman Ben Abram pitched 6.0 innings on Tuesday, allowing one unearned run on three hits and one walk. The walk was his first of the season, snapping a 20-inning streak without allowing a base on balls.
● Sophomore first baseman Tyler Hardman went 9-for-18 and scored seven runs last week. Junior catcher Brady Lindsly went 5-for-10 with a double, a triple, four RBI, three runs scored and three walks.