OU Looks to Defend Title at Clover Cup
NORMAN – Coming off of a second place finish at the Westbrook Invitational, Oklahoma women's golf looks to defend its tournament title at the Clover Cup, held at the par-72, 6,184-yard Longbow Golf Club in Mesa, Arizona.
The Sooners won the 2018 Clover Cup in dramatic fashion, with Julienne Soo chipping in a tournament-winning eagle on the 18th hole. Soo not only lifted the Sooners to victory, but claimed the individual title for the second year in a row.
Oklahoma looks for another strong performance in this season's three-day, 54-hole edition and is coming off of its fifth top-five showing of the year.
"We're excited to get back out to Arizona to compete,” said OU head coach Veronique Drouin-Luttrell. “We always enjoy playing at the Clover Cup. We’ll be keeping the same mindset as the last few tournaments, we need to be able to control what we can and focus on each shot.”
Soo will be back in the lineup this year to defend her title.
In the top position this week is sophomore Kaitlin Milligan, who had the best finish for the team at the Westbrook Invitational and tied for seventh with a 54-hole score of 211 (-5).
The Sooners are joined in the field by Cincinnati, FIU, Houston, IUPUI, Kansas State, Kentucky, Mercer, Mississippi State, Nebraska, UNCG, USC, Western Carolina and Wisconsin.
Live scoring will be available on Birdiefire.com, with the Sooners teeing off at 9 a.m. CT.
1. Kaitlin Milligan, sophomore: Claimed her sixth straight top-20 finish after tying for seventh at the Westbrook Invitational and 20th at the Moon Golf Invitational...Tied for 12th at the Battle at the Beach to earn her fourth top-20 finish of the fall … Tied for 10th at the Jim West Invitational, picking up her with third straight top-10 finish…Carded a 2-under 142 to tie for sixth at the 36-hole Magnolia Invitational…Tied for fifth in the Schooner Fall Classic, posting a 205 (-8) and finishing her last two rounds with a 66 (-5) and 68 (-3)…Competed in every event her freshman season…Her 117 birdies were the second most in the 2017-18 by a Division I freshman and ranked in the top 20 among all DI golfers...Owns the program and Big 12 record for lowest round, firing a 62 (-10) in the first round of the 2018 Westbrook Invitational…Took second place at the Westbrook Invitational after shooting a 54-hole total of 199 (-17), good for the lowest individual tournament score in school history.
2. Mikhaela Fortuna, freshman: Has three top-20 finishes in her rookie season as a Sooner...Tied for 16th at the Westbrook Invitational First career top-20 finish came at the Jim West Challenge…Made her collegiate debut at the Magnolia invitational, claiming 45th place…Competed as an individual at the Schooner Fall Classic and posted two rounds in the 60’s, finishing in a tie for 14th place…A freshman from Manila, Philippines...Captured second place in the 2018 Philippine Ladies Open...Took second in the 2016 Women's Western Amateur Championship.
3. Hannah Lee, sophomore: Tied for 16th at the Westbrook Invitational...Sixth time competing in the Sooners starting lineup…Opened the season with a team-best finish of 17th place by shooting a 220 at the Minnesota Invitational (+4)...Carded a career-best 68 in the opening round of the Minnesota Invitational...Played in three events as a freshman…Competed as an individual at the 2017 Schooner Fall Classic shooting 2-under in her final two days.
4. Libby Winans, freshman: Tied for fifth in the Moon Golf Invitational to earn her best collegiate finish scoring a 211 (-5)...Back-to-back top-ten finishes at the Schooner Fall Classic and Magnolia Invitational…Carded a 206 (-7) and finishing tied for seventh at the Schooner Fall Classic...Opened her career with a 222 (+6) at the Minnesota Invitational and tied for 29th place...Won the 2018 Texas 6A State Championship while also capturing district and regional crowns at Plano East High School...Advanced to the match play portion of the 2018 U.S. Women's Amateur Championship and the round of 32 in the 2018 U.S. Girls' Junior Championship.
5. Julienne Soo, senior: Has won the individual title at the Clover Cup for the past two years...Tied for 13th at the Moon Golf Invitational to tie for 13th and collect her third top-20 finish of the season...Tied for sixth at the Battle at the Beach to pick up her 14th top-10 finish … Tied for seventh at the Jim West Invitational… Posted a 69 and 67 at the Jim West for a total of 17 career round in the 60’s…Closed out the Schooner Fall Classic with a 6-under 66, tying her career 18-hole low…Qualified for stage 1 of Q-School…A Golfweek All-America Team Honorable Mention…Finished her junior season with a stroke average of 72.27 - tied with Chirapat Jao-Javanil's 2012-13 campaign for the lowest in program history (both golfers took exactly 2,457 shots in 34 rounds)...Claimed 19th place in the 2018 NCAA Championships – the second-highest finish by a Big 12 golfer in the field…Named to the All-Big 12 Team in 2017 and 2018...Also named to the Big 12 All-Tournament Team and Academic All-Big 12 Team.
Individual Competitor - Karen Arimoto: Competed in the Moon Golf Invitational...Played in the individual spot at the Schooner Classic in the fall…Competed in two events last season...Played as an individual at the 2017 Schooner Fall Classic, finishing tied for 61st place (225, +12)...Has competed in seven career events.