Southern Highlands Collegiate Up Next for No. 6 OU
NORMAN — The No. 6 Oklahoma men’s golf team continues its spring schedule this week (Sunday-Tuesday) at the Southern Highlands Collegiate. The three-day, 54-hole tournament will take place Sunday-Tuesday at the par-72, 7,510-yard at the Southern Highlands Golf Club.
The 15-team field features eight ranked teams in the Golfweek top 25, including five in the top 10. The Sooners start the spring at No. 6 in the Golfweek/Sagarin rankings.
The Sooners opened the spring with a third-place finish at the Puerto Rico Classic with a three-round 852 (-12). Quade Cummins and Garett Reband led the Sooners individually, tying for seveth place at 212 (-4).
Oklahoma’s lineup will include Cummins and Reband, along with juniors Riley Casey, Thomas Johnson and freshman Patrick Welch.
For the first time, the final two rounds of the Southern Highlands Collegiate will be streamed live by Golfweek and the USA Today Sports Network. Coverage will begin at 2 p.m. CT on Monday and Tuesday. To watch, click here.
The individual champion of the Southern Highlands Collegiate will receive an exemption into the Shriners Hospitals for Children Open, which will take place Oct. 3-6 at TPC Summerlin in Las Vegas.
THE FIELD (GOLFSTAT RANKINGS)
Georgia Tech (4)
Texas Tech (22)
1. Quade Cummins, RS-Junior: Named to Ben Hogan Award Watch List ... Tied for seventh place at the Puerto Rico Classic with a 212 (-4) … Won the Marathon Sun Bowl All- American Classic after winning the playoff … Shot the third-lowest three-round score in program history at the Ka’anapali Classic with a 198 (-15) … Picked up four victories at the Big 12 Match Play Tournament … Appeared in 10 events, earning six top-10 finishes last season … Finished third at the NCAA Norman Regional, recording a 54-hole score of 208 (-8) ... 2018 Division I PING All-America honorable mention selection ... All-Region pick by the GCAA.
2. Garett Reband, Junior: Tied for seventh place at the Puerto Rico Classic with a 212 (-4) ... Finished second in the Carmel Cup posting a 200 (-16) including two rounds in the 60s … Competed in 10 team events last season ... Carded a par-72 after making par on every hole in the first round of the 2018 NCAA Norman Regional finishing the tournament in 11th place.
3. Riley Casey, Junior: Competed in six team events this seasaon ... Placed 13th at the Puerto Rico Classic with a 213 (-3) ... Recorded three top-10 finishes in the past four tournaments ... Carded a 13-under 200 to finish fourth at the Ka'anapali Collegiate Classic … Carded a 65 to finish in the top five at the Carmel Cup at 204 (-12) ... Tied for ninth place at the Gopher Invitational with a 54-hole 213 (E).
4. Patrick Welch, Freshman: Tied for sixth in his individual collegiate appearance at the Ka’anapali Collegiate Classic … Posted three consecutive rounds in the 60’s … Collected a win against Iowa State in the Big 12 Match Play … Four-time Rhode Island Junior Player of the Year … Qualified for the U.S. Amateur on four occasions … Became first four-time Rhode Island Junior Amateur State Champion, surpassing three-time winner and PGA professional Brad Faxon for the record … Plays crossed-handed.
5. Thomas Johnson, RS-Junior: Took second place in the Puerto Rico Individual Classic with a three-day 212 (-1) … As a sophomore, played in two events in the team lineup … Finished with OU’s best third-round score at the Puerto Rico Classic, shooting 69 (-2) last season… Tied for 21st place at the Puerto Rico Classic carding a 217 (+4).
The Southern Highlands Collegiate will be played at the par-72, 7,510-yard Southern Highlands Golf Club.
Each round will begin off the No. 1 and No. 10 tees at 11 a.m. CT.
Sunday: Sunny with a high of 69 degrees and wind from the west at nine mph.
Monday: Sunny with a high of 69 degrees and wind from the east at 5-10 mph.
Tuesday: Cloudy with a 20 percent chance of rain, a high of 69 degrees and wind from the east, southeast at 10-20 mph.
OU’S SOUTHERN HIGHLANDS COLLEGIATE HISTORY
This marks OU's eighth straight appearance at the event. OU's best finish came in 2015 as the Sooners took second place. The Sooners finished in sixth place at the tournament last season.
Live scoring will be available at Golfstat.com. The second and third rounds of the Southern Highlands Collegiate will be streamed by Golfweek and the USA Today Network. Fans can watch here.