Baseball Hosts UAPB for Midweek Set
|Tues. 3 p.m.||RHP-Ben Abram (1-0, 1.80)||LHP-Peyton Burks (0-2, 12.79)|
|Wed. 3 p.m.||TBA||RHP-Colton Bochtler (0-0, 27.00)|
• Oklahoma is back home for a six-game homestand this week, beginning with a two-game midweek set against Arkansas-Pine Bluff Tuesday and Wednesday at L. Dale Mitchell Park. Game times are 3 p.m. both days.
• OU continues the homestand with a four-game series against Columbia Friday through Sunday, March 1-3. The Sooners and Lions play at 6:30 p.m. Friday, a doubleheader at 1 p.m. Saturday and one game at 1 p.m. Sunday.
• The Sooners are scheduled to play six games in six days this week, with the two midweek contests and four games Friday through Sunday.
• Live video streaming for both midweek games will be available via SoonerSports.tv, and live stats will be available via SoonerSports.com.
• Oklahoma began the season 6-0 for the first time since 2013.
• OU began a stretch of 10 games in 12 games on Friday in San Diego. The stretch continues with seven games in eight days beginning on Tuesday. That run concludes March 5 at Dallas Baptist.
• A pair of OU players earned Big 12 honors this week. Tyler Hardman was named the Big 12 Player of the Week and Nathan Wiles was named the Big 12 Pitcher of the Week. It was the first weekly honors of the season for the Sooners.
• The Sooners have allowed just 17 runs this season and posted a 1.86 ERA. OU is tied for 12th nationally in ERA. Junior Nathan Wiles and sophomore Cade Cavalli lead the way with a 1.29 and 1.59 ERA, respectively.
CLEAR BAG POLICY/STADIUM ENTRY FOR 2019
• Consistent with all University of Oklahoma Athletics events, a clear bag policy is in effect for the 2019 baseball season at L. Dale Mitchell Park.
• The approved clear plastic bag size is a maximum of 12 inches x 6 inches x 12 inches or a one-gallon clear plastic freezer bag. Stadium policy will allow non-transparent clutch purses that are no larger than 4.5 inches by 6.5 inches.
• In addition, metal detectors will be located at each stadium entrance gate.
• Lawn chairs and metal frame seats with chairbacks are allowed in L. Dale Mitchell Park, and will be required to go through appropriate security screening at the main gate west entrance.
• For more information, visit SoonerSports.com/gameday.
• The ticket office and gates open 90 minutes prior to the scheduled game time. The ticket office and will call windows are located behind home plate, along W. Imhoff Rd.
BIG 12 HONORS
• Tyler Hardman and Nathan Wiles were named the Big 12 Player of the Week and Pitcher of the Week, respectively, this week.
• Hardman batted .429 with two home runs and a triple, driving in nine runs at the Tony Gwynn Legacy tournament in San Diego. His seventh-inning grand slam gave the Sooners the lead, and he added a two-run double in the ninth inning. He hit a three-run home run on Sunday against Cal State Fullerton.
• Wiles pitched 7.0 shutout innings in a 1-0 win at San Diego State Saturday night. He allowed just four hits and tied a career high with 10 strikeouts.
ABOUT THE SOONERS
• OU is in its second year under the direction of head coach Skip Johnson. Johnson holds a 44-26 record as head coach, and led the Sooners to an NCAA regional appearance last season.
• OU is tied for 12th nationally with a 1.86 ERA. The Sooners also rank sixth with nine double plays turned. That figure includes four double plays in the game at San Diego on Friday. Hardman ranks 22nd in the nation with his 12 RBIs.
• Sophomore Cade Cavalli was excellent over 7.0 innings on Friday night, shutting out the Toreros after the first inning and notching seven strikeouts and allowing just four hits and one walk.
• Sophomore first baseman Tyler Hardman drove in nine of Oklahoma’s 12 runs over the weekend. He hit two home runs a double and a triple in four games last week.
• Freshman Ben Abram made his first career appearance with a five-inning start against Dallas Baptist on Wednesday. He allowed just one earned run, four hits and no walks in five innings of the Sooners’ 5-2 victory.
• Sophomore catcher Justin Mitchell went 4-for-7 at the plate and scored four runs in two starts last week. Sophomore outfielder Jordan Vujovich batted .333 and doubled home two runs on Sunday. Sophomore Ledgend Smith pitched 4.2 scoreless relief innings across three appearances last week. He allowed just one hit and two walks in those outings. Sophomore Zack Matthews earned his first career save in Wednesday’s win over Dallas Baptist and pitched 2.0 scoreless innings in two appearances last week.
ABOUT THE GOLDEN LIONS
• UAPB is 1-6 on the season and coming off of three losses at Abilene Christian last weekend by scores of 16-7, 9-7 and 5-4.
• The Lions are hitting .263 as a team, led by Sergio Esparza’s .368 batting average. Nick Kreutzer is hitting .333 with four home runs and 12 RBIs.
• This will be the first meeting since 2014.
• All 14 meetings have been played in Norman.
• The schools first met for two games in 2005, and have played twice in 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014.