Baseball at Tony Gwynn Legacy This Weekend
|Weekend Pitching Match-Ups|
|Fri. 8 p.m.||RHP-Cade Cavalli (0-0, 2.08)||USD LHP-Chris Murphy (1-0, 0.00)|
|Sat. 8 p.m.||RHP-Nathan Wiles (1-0, 2.57)||SDSU RHP-Harrison Pyatt (0-0, 4.50)|
|Sun. Noon||LHP-Levi Prater (1-0, 1.42)||CSF RHP-Michael Knorr (0-0, 4.50)|
• Oklahoma is on the road for the first time this season. The Sooners play at the Tony Gwynn Legacy tournament Friday through Sunday in San Diego, Calif.
• OU plays San Diego at 8 p.m. CT Friday at Fowler Park and Cunningham Stadium. The Sooners face San Diego State at 8 p.m. CT Saturday at Tony Gwynn Stadium, then close out the weekend against Cal State Fullerton at noon CT Sunday at Fowler Park.
• Live stats for all three games will be available via SoonerSports.com.
ABOUT THE SOONERS
• Oklahoma is 4-0 to start a season for the first time since 2013. The Sooners have outscored opponents 22-8 this season.
• OU has spread around the offense this season. Eleven Sooners have driven in at least one run and nine players have scored a run so far.
• OU is in its second year under the direction of head coach Skip Johnson. Johnson holds a 42-25 record as head coach, and led the Sooners to an NCAA regional appearance last season.
• OU pitchers have posted a 1.50 ERA in four games so far this season, ranking 14th nationally. The group has allowed six earned runs, scattered 30 hits and nine walks and totaled 32 strikeouts in 36.0 innings.
• Through the first week, sophomore Levi Prater is 1-0 with a 1.42 ERA, freshman Ben Abram is 1-0 with a 1.80 ERA, sophomore Cade Cavalli is 0-0 with a 2.08 ERA and junior Nathan Wiles is 1-0 with a 2.57 ERA.
• The OU bullpen has allowed one run and tallied 16 strikeouts in 13.1 innings of work.
• Sophomore catcher Justin Mitchell leads the team with a .444 batting average and four runs scored while junior catcher Brady Lindsly is hitting .333 with two doubles and two runs. Junior second baseman Conor McKenna, sophomore first baseman Tyler Hardman and freshman center fielder Milan Walla each have a team-high three RBIs.
• Eight players have made their OU debuts this season: freshman pitchers Ben Abram, Jaret Godman and Wyatt Olds, junior transfers Conor McKenna and Jason Ruffcorn, sophomore transfers Tanner Tredaway and Jordan Vujovich and freshman outfielder Milan Walla. Walla recorded his first career hit in his initial at bat on Friday.
• McKenna, Ware and Zaragoza have combined for 50 fielding assists and 12 putouts. The Sooners have turned four double plays, including two of the 6-3 variety by Zaragoza.
ABOUT THE TOREROS
• San Diego swept a three-game series over Wagner last weekend, defeated Long Beach State 4-0 Tuesday and lost to Arizona State 12-2 on Wednesday.
• The Toreros are hitting .316 as a team, led by Max Jung-Goldberg (.538 batting average), Kevin Collard (.500), Tora Otsuka (.429), Caleb Ricketts (.375) and Cody Hefferis (.364 and seven RBIs).
• Friday starter Chris Murphy struck out six, walked five and allowed one hit in 5.0 scoreless innings in his first start.
ABOUT THE AZTECS
• The Aztecs won two of three games from San Francisco last weekend, winning 8-4 and 6-3 around a 9-8 loss in the second game. SDSU then beat UC Irvine 9-3 on Tuesday.
• San Diego State is hitting .326, led by Brian Leonhardt’s .500 batting average and seven RBIs. Julian Escobedo is batting .467 with nine RBIs and six runs scored.
• Saturday starter Harrison Pyatt pitched 4.0 innings in his first start and allowed two runs on four hits with five strikeouts.
ABOUT THE TITANS
• The Titans played at the MLB Collegiate Tournament in Talking Stick, Ariz., last weekend and defeated TCU 2-0 and Virginia 6-5, and fell 14-9 to Vanderbilt.
• Fullerton is hitting .271 as a team, led by a pair of .400 hitters in Jacob Pavletich (three RBIs and three runs scored) and Jackson Lynch (two RBIs and two runs).
• Sunday starter Michael Knorr allowed two earned runs on four hits with two strikeouts and three walks in 4.0 innings last weekend.