OU Hands Arkansas First Loss
FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. – The Oklahoma women’s tennis team handed Arkansas its first loss of the season in statement fashion, sweeping the Razorbacks 4-0 Sunday in Fayetteville.
The victory marked OU’s (4-1) first over Arkansas (7-1) since 2014 and OU's third shutout in five matches so far this season.
“I’m proud of how focused everyone was on each court today,” said head coach Audra Cohen. “We battled and stayed strong from start to finish.”
OU opened the contest with the doubles point for the fifth straight match. Martina Capurro and Camila Romero made quick work of Arkansas’ Lauren Alter and Jackie Carr to win 6-2 at the No. 2 line. At the top spot Ivana Corley and Jasmine Asghar fell to Tatum Rice and Martina Zerulo 6-4.
For the third consecutive match, Oleksandra Korashvili and Kianah Motosono clinched the opening point for OU. The duo notched a 6-4 victory over Laura Rijkers and Miruna Tudor to remain undefeated (4-0) in doubles this season.
The Sooners quickly picked up singles wins at the top three spots to put the Razorbacks away. Romero struck first when she downed Lauren Alter 6-1, 6-3 on court three. The Sooner never trailed in the match.
At the top spot, Capurro snapped Zerulo’s six-match winning streak with a 7-5, 6-1 win to give OU a 3-0 advantage in the match. The first frame was tied at every game up to five before Capurro ran away with it, then dominated the second.
Big 12 Player of the Week Korashvili clinched the match for the Sooners at the No. 2 slot. Korashvili rolled past Rice 6-3 in the first set before Rice fired back to force a breaker in the second. Korashvili held on to win it 7-6 (0) and claim the match for the Sooners. The victory was good for Korashvili’s third straight.
When play was abandoned, Asghar was just one game away from closing out Rijkers on court four, leading 5-2 in the third. Rijkers won the first 6-3 before Asghar flipped the script for a 6-3 win in the second to send it to a deciding frame.
On court five, Corley led Carr 4-2 in the third. The Sooner claimed the first 6-2, but Carr took the second 6-3 to force a third.
Motosono was up 3-2 in the second set on court six after outlasting Tudor to win the opening set 7-6 (7).
OU is home to host Arizona State on Feb. 9 at 10 a.m. CT. Admission to the Headington Family Tennis Center is always free.
1. Martina Capurro (OU) def. Martina Zerulo (ARK) 7-5, 6-1
2. Oleksandra Korashvil (OU) def. Tatum Rice (ARK) 6-3, 7-6 (7-0)
3. Camila Romero (OU) def. Lauren Alter (ARK) 6-1, 6-3
4. Laura Rijkers (ARK) vs. Jasmine Asghar (OU) 6-3, 3-6, 2-5, unfinished
5. Jackie Carr (ARK) vs. Ivana Corley (OU) 2-6, 6-3, 2-4, unfinished
6. Miruna Tudor (ARK) vs. Kianah Motosono (OU) 6-7 (7-9), 2-3, unfinished
1. Tatum Rice/Martina Zerulo (ARK) def. Jasmine Asghar/Ivana Corley (OU) 6-4
2. Camila Romero/Martina Capurro (OU) def. Lauren Alter/Jackie Carr (ARK) 6-2
3. Oleksandra Korashvil/Kianah Motosono (OU) def. Laura Rijkers/Miruna Tudor (ARK) 6-4
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (3,1,2)