Sooners Back in Action in Mississippi
NORMAN - Oklahoma women’s golf returns to action at the Magnolia Invitational on Sunday. The three-day, 54-hole tournament is hosted by Ole Miss at the par-71, 6,320-yard Old Waverly Golf Club in Starkville, Miss.
The Sooners are joined in the field by No. 20 Auburn, Coastal Carolina, East Tennessee, Kansas State, Kennesaw State, LSU, Ole Miss, Memphis, Middle Tennessee, Mississippi State, Southern Mississippi and Virginia Tech.
“We’re excited to get back out and play,” said OU head coach Veronique Drouin-Luttrell. “We’re playing at a fantastic golf course this weekend and look forward to seeing it. We’ve had some great practices the last few weeks and aim to carry that over to this week’s competition.”
Oklahoma is coming off a third-place showing at the Schooner Fall Classic that was highlight by a record breaking round during their home tournament. The Sooners posted a 267 (-17) in the second round – the lowest team round score in program history. Two Sooners finished in the top-10 of the individual rankings, led by sophomore Kaitlin Milligan with an 8-under 205. Milligan tied for fifth place, picking up her second top-10 finish of the season.
The Sooners tee off Sunday at 9:40 a.m., grouped with golfers from Coastal Carolina and LSU. Live scoring will be available at golfstat.com.
1. Kaitlin Milligan, sophomore: Finished tied for fifth in the Schooner Fall Classic, posting a 205 (-8) and finishing her last two rounds with a 66 (-5) and 68 (-3)…Competed in every event her freshman season…Her 117 birdies were the second most in the 2017-18 by a Division I freshman and ranked in the top 20 among all DI golfers...Owns the program and Big 12 record for lowest round, firing a 62 (-10) in the first round of the 2018 Westbrook Invitational…Took second place at the Westbrook Invitational after shooting a 54-hole total of 199 (-17), good for the lowest individual tournament score in school history.
2. Libby Winans, freshman: Recorded her first collegiate top-ten finish at the Schooner Fall Classic carding a 206 (-7) and finishing tied for seventh...Opened her career with a 222 (+6) at the Minnesota Invitational and tied for 29th place...Won the 2018 Texas 6A State Championship while also capturing district and regional crowns at Plano East High School...Advanced to the match play portion of the 2018 U.S. Women's Amateur Championship and the round of 32 in the 2018 U.S. Girls' Junior Championship.
3. Mikhaela Fortuna, freshman: Making her first collegiate start for the Sooners...Competed as an individual at the Schooner Fall Classic and posted two rounds in the 60’s, finishing in a tie for 14th place…A freshman from Manila, Philippines...Captured second place in the 2018 Philippine Ladies Open...Took second in the 2016 Women's Western Amateur Championship.
4. Sydney Youngblood, sophomore: Carded a career-low 64 (-7) at the Schooner Fall Classic…Competed in all postseason events in 2018, including the NCAA Championships…Finished in 24th place at the NCAA Austin Regional, shooting a 219 (+3)...Best finish of the year was a ninth-place showing at the Jim West Challenge with a career-low 209 (-4).
5. Hannah Lee, sophomore: Fifth time competing in the Sooners starting lineup…Opened the season with a team-best finish of 17th place by shooting a 220 at the Minnesota Invitational (+4)...Carded a career-best 68 in the opening round of the Minnesota Invitational...Played in three events as a freshman…Competed as an individual at the 2017 Schooner Fall Classic shooting 2-under in her final two days.