NORMAN — The No. 4 Oklahoma men's golf team looks to defends its national title at the 2018 NCAA Championships, held May 25-30 (Friday-Wednesday) at the par-72, 7,460-yard Karsten Creek Golf Club in Stillwater, Okla.
The Sooners are making their eighth consecutive trip to the NCAA Championship, joining Illinois and Texas as the only programs to qualify for the last eight NCAA Championships.
OU enters the event after winning the NCAA Norman Regional. Redshirt sophomore Quade Cummins took third at regional with a three-day 208 (-8), while junior Blaine Hale placed fourth at 209 (-7) to pace the Sooners. OU has won four out of its last five tournaments.
The Sooners’ lineup for the NCAA Championship will include junior Brad Dalke, senior Grant Hirschman, sophomore Garett Reband, Cummins and Hale. Redshirt sophomore Thomas Johnson will serve as the team’s alternate.
The Sooners, the No. 3 overall seed, will tee off from hole No. 10 starting at 2:40 p.m. CT (time has been adjusted due to weather) and paired with No. 1 seed Oklahoma State and No. 2 seed Texas A&M. Tickets are available here.
(GOLFWEEK/SAGARIN RANKINGS IN PARENTHESES)
1. Oklahoma State (1)
2. Texas A&M (2)
3. Oklahoma (4)
4. Vanderbilt (3)
5. Alabama (5)
6. Florida (6)
7. Auburn (7)
8. Illinois (12)
9. Baylor (11)
10. Texas Tech (16)
11. Clemson (14)
12. Texas (15)
13. North Carolina (20)
14. BYU (39)
15. Kansas (40)
16. Stanford (13)
17. Arkansas (17)
18. Arizona State (18)
19. UNLV (19)
20. North Florida (23)
21. Kentucky (26)
22. UCLA (24)
23. Duke (28)
24. Kent State (30)
25. Oregon (36)
26. Northwestern (37)
27. NC State (35)
28. Iowa State (47)
29. UCF (53)
30. Augusta (100)
1. Kyle Mueller, Michigan
2. Braden Thornbery, Ole Miss
3. George Cunningham, Arizona
4. Joshua McCarty, Pepperdine
5. Charles Conner, UTEP
6. Pontus Nyholm, Campbell
- Brad Dalke, Junior: Leads OU with a 70.86 stroke average … Made the Big 12 All-Tournament Team tying for seventh at 286 (+6) … Earned fourth top-5 finish of the season with a three-day 207 (-6) at The Goodwin … Won second individual tournament title of his career with a three-round 208 (-8) at the Lone Star Invitational … Selected to the U.S. Palmer Cup Team on March 14 … Watch list for the 2018 Ben Hogan Award and the Haskins Award.
- Grant Hirschman, Senior: Has a 71.17 stroke average this season … Became the first OU player since 2005 to earn individual medalist honors at the Big 12 Championship with a 72-hole 283 (+3) … Carded a season-low 66 (-5) to pick up his fifth top-10 finish at The Goodwin … Posted a 70 (-2) in the final round of the Lone State Invitational, finishing in third place at 210 (-6) …2015 and 2017 PING All-America Honorable Mention.
- Garett Reband, Sophomore: Tied for 11th place at the NCAA Norman Regional with a 54-hole 212 (-4) ... Claimed a share of 24th place at 226 (+6) at the Lone Star Invitational … Competed as an individual at the Puerto Rico Classic, tying for third at 215 (-1 ) … Two top-5 finishes this season ... Opened the season with a third-place finish at the Carmel Cup, posting a 203 (-13) ... Tied for sixth at the East Lake Cup.
- Quade Cummins, Redshirt Sophomore: Took solo third place at the NCAA Norman Regional at 208 (-8) … Tied for 12th place at 209 (-4) at the ASU Thunderbird Invitational … Earned fifth top-10 finish of the season, claiming a share of seventh with an overall 208 (-5) at The Goodwin … Finished tied for 10th place at the Lone Star Invitational as an individual ... 2017 PING All-America Honorable Mention.
- Blaine Hale, Junior: Took fourth place at Norman Regional with a three-day 209 (-7) ... Three top-10 finishes in last five starts ... Named to the Big 12 All-Tournament Team typing for seventh overall at 286 (+6) … Finished with an overall 209 (-4) at The Goodwin, matching his 54-hole career low … Tied for sixth place at the Lone Star Invitational, marking his second top-10 finish in his last three team events.
- Thomas Johnson, RS-Sophomore: Will serve as OU’s alternate for this week’s NCAA Regional ... Appeared in four tournament and has a 73.33 stroke average ... Had season-best finish at Puerto Rico Classic, tying for 21st place (217/+4) ... Tied for 25th at ASU Individual (223/+10).
The par-72, 7,460-yard Karsten Creek Golf Club will serve as the site for the NCAA Championship.
The 30 teams and six individuals that qualified for the championships will play 54 holes of stroke play total, completing 18 each day Friday through Sunday. The Sooners, alongside Oklahoma State and Texas A&M, will tee off for the first round on Friday at 12:20 p.m. CT from hole No. 10 and the second round on Saturday at 7 a.m. CT from hole No. 1.
Friday: Partly cloudy with a high of 91 degrees, wind from the south, southeast at 10-15 mph and a 20 percent chance of rain.
Saturday: Partly cloudy with a high of 97 degrees, wind from the south at 10-15 mph and a 20 percent chance of rain.
Sunday: Mostly sunny with a high of 95 degrees, wind from the south, southeast at 10-15 mph and a 10 percent chance of rain.
Monday: Sunny with a high of 94 degrees and wind from the southeast at 5-10 mph and a 10 percent chance of rain.
Tuesday: Partly cloudy with a high of 94 degrees, wind from the southeast at 5-10 mph and a 20 percent chance of rain.
Wednesday: Sunny with a high of 95 degrees, wind from southeast at 10-15 mph and a 20 percent chance of rain.
OU’S NCAA CHAMPIONSHIP HISTORY
This season marks the eighth consecutive season the Sooners have advanced to the NCAA Championships and the program's 40th all-time appearance. The Sooners won the national title in 1989 and 2017. OU has had two individual champions, Walter Emery (1933) and Jimmy Vickers (1952).
In 2017, the Sooners won their second NCAA title in program history by defeating Oregon, 3-1-1, in the championship match play final at Rich Harvest Farms in Sugar Grove, Ill.
Live scoring will be available on GolfStat.com.