Sooners Fall to Gophers in NCAA Second Round
NORMAN – Oklahoma men's tennis fell to Minnesota on Saturday, 4-0, in the NCAA Second Round at the Headington Family Tennis Center in Norman.
The Sooners fell behind early, with Minnesota capturing the doubles point via wins by Josip Krstanovic/Felix Corwin at No. 1, 6-4, and Marino Alpeza/Stefan Milicevic at No. 3, 7-5.
The Gophers' momentum continued into singles where No. 53 Felix Corwin took down OU's No. 30 Alex Bakshi, 6-4, 6-2 at the No. 1 line to extend its lead to 2-0. Soon after, Minnesota's Josip Krstanovic defeated Adrian Oetzbach 6-4, 6-2, on court four, pushing the Gophers' lead to 3-0.
Jackson Allen finished it off for the Gophers at No. 5 singles, defeating Jochen Bertsch, 3-6, 6-3, 6-2.
"I just talked to the guys in the locker room, obviously everyone is very disappointed in the way we finished today, but our program moved in the right direction this year," Oklahoma head coach Nick Crowell said. "We brought in seven new guys, lost our No. 1 player (Spencer Papa) early on and our guys didn't make excuses, they just stepped it up and got better as the year went on."
The loss concludes the 2017-18 campaign for the Sooners, finishing with a 20-6 record. The season will continue for Bakshi and Ferran Calvo, who are set travel to Winston Salem, N.C., for the singles competition of the NCAA Championships from May 23-28.
For updates, follow @OU_MTennis on Twitter.
1. Felix Corwin (MINN) def. Alex Bakshi (OU) 6-4, 6-2
2. Jake van Emburgh (OU) vs. #85 Matic Spec (MINN) 3-6, 6-4, 1-2, unfinished
3. Ferran Calvo (OU) vs. Stefan Milicevic (MINN) 4-6, 6-4, 1-0, unfinished
4. Josip Krstanovic (MINN) def. Adrian Oetzbach (OU) 6-4, 6-2
5. Jackson Allen (MINN) def. Jochen Bertsch (OU) 3-6, 6-3, 6-2
6. Stefano Tsorotiotis (OU) vs. Marino Alpeza (MINN) 6-2, 5-7, 2-4, unfinished
1. Josip Krstanovic/Felix Corwin (MINN) def. No. 44 Alex Bakshi/Jake van Emburgh (OU) 6-4
2. Jochen Bertsch/Adrian Oetzbach (OU) vs. Justyn Levin/Matic Spec (MINN) 5-5, unfinished
3. Marino Alpeza/Stefan Milicevic (MINN) def. Ferran Calvo/Stefano Tsorotiotis (OU) 7-5
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3); Singles (1, 4, 5)