LAWRENCE, Kan. – The No. 50 Oklahoma women’s tennis team dropped its final match of the regular season at No. 16 Kansas Sunday, 4-0.
With the loss, OU finishes the regular season at 14-11 overall with a 4-5 mark in Big 12 action. Kansas improves to 15-4 and 7-1 in league play.
"Doubles was close today and credit to Kansas for coming up with some big serves in important moments. In singles we got off to slow start and weren’t able to recover fast enough," said head coach Audra Cohen.
"Overall, I am proud of how much we have improved as a program over the course of the season. We are heading into the Big 12 tournament with momentum and confidence that we are a stronger, tougher team for anyone to play."
The Sooners gave up the doubles point to open the match. OU’s Christie Brigante and Jasmine Asghar grabbed a win, defeating Tatiana Nikolaeva and Nina Khmelnitckaia, 6-2, from the No. 1 line.
On court three, Camila Romero and Simran Sethi fell to Kansas’ Despoina Vogasari and Maria Toran Ribes, 6-3, to leave court two to decide the point.
Sooners seniors Lily Miyazaki and Malene Stripp battled, but fell to Janet Koch and Amber Policare, 6-4, and the Jayhawks took a 1-0 lead in the match.
In singles, OU’s Asghar fell to Koch, 6-4, 6-1, at the No. 2 spot. Sethi dropped to Nikolaeva, 6-3, 6-1, on court five, while Romero was defeated by Toran Ribes, 6-2, 6-3, on court four.
When play was halted, No. 38 Miyazaki looked to split with Kansas’ No. 68 Vogasari, up 5-4 in the second frame after Vogasari took set one, 6-2.
OU’s Brigante led Khmelnitckaia, 5-4, in the second set after Khmelnitckaia won the first, 6-3.
Stripp was just one game away from a win over Policare on court six, leading 5-2 in the second set after dominating the first, 6-2.
Up next, OU will compete in the 2018 Big 12 Tennis Championships, held in Austin, Texas. The Sooners await their seed, which will be announced Sunday evening. The first round will begin at 9 a.m. CT on Thursday, April 26.
1. #68 Despoina Vogasari (KU) vs. #38 Lily Miyazaki (OU) 6-2, 4-5, unfinished
2. Janet Koch (KU) def. Jasmine Asghar (OU) 6-4, 6-1
3. Nina Khmelnitckaia (KU) vs. Christiana Brigante (OU) 6-3, 4-5, unfinished
4. Maria Toran Ribes (KU) def. Camila Romero (OU) 6-2, 6-3
5. Tatiana Nikolaeva (KU) def. Simran Kaur Sethi (OU) 6-3, 6-1
6. Amber Policare (KU) vs. Malene Stripp (OU) 2-6, 2-5, unfinished
1. Christiana Brigante/Jasmine Asghar (OU) def. #76 Nina Khmelnitckaia/Tatiana Nikolaeva (KU) 6-2
2. Janet Koch/Amber Policare (KU) def. Lily Miyazaki/Malene Stripp (OU) 6-4
3. Despoina Vogasari/Maria Toran Ribes (KU) def. Simran Kaur Sethi/Camila Romero (OU) 6-3
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (2,5,4)