NORMAN – The Oklahoma women’s tennis team notched a 4-1 win over TCU Sunday in its final home match of the regular season. Three of OU’s four seniors recorded singles wins in their last contest at the Headington Family Tennis Center.
“It’s just such a special moment to be able to not only have Senior Day, but for the seniors to really step up and play amazing tennis all weekend and come together and be such a unit of fire and energy is a testament to how far along they’ve come in their careers,” said head coach Audra Cohen. “They went out there with so much confidence.”
With the win, OU improves to 13-10 overall and 3-4 in the Big 12, while TCU moves to 9-13 overall and 0-7 in league play.
The Sooners got off to a hot start, opening the match with the doubles point. Christie Brigante and Jasmine Asghar made quick work of TCU’s Donika Bashota and Alexis Pereira, winning 6-1 from the No. 1 line.
OU seniors Lily Miyazaki and Malene Stripp followed suit, taking down TCU's Marie Norris and Elizabeth Tedford on court two, 6-1.
When play was abandoned, Simran Sethi and Camila Romero trailed the Horned Frogs' Aleksa Cveticanin and Aleksandra Zenovka, 3-2, on court three.
The Sooners’ seniors continued to shine in singles, with Miyazaki, Brigante and Stripp all picking up victories to seal the match for Oklahoma.
No. 41 Miyazaki came out on top of a three-setter with Cveticanin, 1-6, 6-3, 6-2, at the No. 1 spot, to claim her fourth consecutive singles victory.
Just moments later, OU’s Brigante picked up a win over No. 92 Zenovka on court three, 6-4, 6-4. Brigante trailed 3-0 in the second set before winning three games straight to tie the frame, and gave up just one more game en route to her straight-set victory. The win marked Brigante's first win over a ranked opponent this season.
Stripp clinched the match for the Sooners on court six, where she defeated Pereira, 6-3, 6-4, breaking at deuce point in the second set to capture the match.
Romero fell to TCU’s Norris, 6-3, 6-4, on court five. When play was halted, sophomore Asghar was just a game away from closing out Bashota in the third set on court two, up 5-2. Asghar won the first frame handily, 6-2, before Bashota answered and took set two, 6-3, and force a deciding frame.
After winning the opening frame, OU’s Sethi trailed Stevie Kennedy, 5-4, in the second set on court five.
The Sooners head to Kansas, where they will close out Big 12 play at Kansas State on Friday at 3 p.m. CT, followed by Kansas next Sunday at noon.
For updates, follow @OU_WTennis on Twitter.
- #41 Lily Miyazaki (OU) def. Aleksa Cveticanin (TCU) 1-6, 6-3, 6-2
- Jasmine Asghar (OU) vs. Donika Bashota (TCU) 6-2, 3-6, 5-2, unfinished
- Christiana Brigante (OU) def. #92 Aleksandra Zenovka (TCU) 6-4, 6-4
- Marie Norris (TCU) def. Camila Romero (OU) 6-4, 6-3
- Simran Kaur Sethi (OU) vs. Stevie Kennedy (TCU) 6-4, 5-6, unfinished
- Malene Stripp (OU) def. Meredith Roberts (TCU) 6-3, 6-4
- Jasmine Asghar/Christiana Brigante (OU) def. Donika Bashota/Alexis Pereira (TCU) 6-1
- Lily Miyazaki/Malene Stripp (OU) def. Elizabeth Tedford/Marie Norris (TCU) 6-1
- Simran Kaur Sethi/Camila Romero (OU) vs. Aleksandra Zenovka/Aleksa Cveticanin (TCU) 3-4, unfinished
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1); Singles (4,1,3,6)