Sooners Close Regular Season in Tempe
NORMAN — The No. 4 Oklahoma men’s golf team closes out the regular season this weekend in Tempe, Ariz., for the ASU Thunderbird Invitational. The two-day, 54-hole tournament will be held Saturday-Sunday (April 14-15) at the par-71, 7,032-yard Karsten Golf Course.
The Sooners are looking to continue their momentum after winning their second straight tournament at The Goodwin, March 29-31. The team victory marks the first time since 2015 that OU has won back-to-back tournaments in one season. OU’s three-day 828 (-24) at The Goodwin marked the second-lowest 54-hole total for the Sooners this season.
OU’s top finisher at the event was Brad Dalke, who earned his fourth top-5 finish of the season with a three-day 207 (-6). Dalke finished the tournament in share of fifth place to pace OU’s lineup. Grant Hirschman, Blaine Hale and Quade Cummins all picked up top-10 finishes to help the Sooners to their third team victory of the season.
The Sooners lineup for the ASU Thunderbird Invitational will include Dalke, Hirschman, Hale and Cummins. Sophomore Garett Reband rejoins the lineup for this weekend’s event.
Redshirt sophomore Thomas Johnson and senior Rylee Reinertson will be competing as individuals, unattached from team scoring. The individual tournament will take place at the par-71, 7,316-yard Papago Golf Course in Phoenix, Ariz.
(GOLFWEEK/SAGARIN RANKINGS IN PARENTHESES)
Oklahoma State (1)
Arizona State (19)
Colorado State (41)
New Mexico State
- Brad Dalke, Junior: Leads OU with a 70.08 stroke average … Earned fourth top-5 finish of the season with a three-day 207 (-6) at The Goodwin … Won second individual tournament title of his career with a three-round 208 (-8) at the Lone Star Invitational … Selected to the U.S. Palmer Cup Team on March 14 … Named to the watch list for the 2018 Ben Hogan Award and the Haskins Award … Recorded a 69.85 stroke average during the fall season … Team-best seven top-10 finishes in nine events.
- Grant Hirschman, Senior: Has a 71.12 stroke average this season … Carded a season-low 66 (-5) to pick up his fifth top-10 finish at The Goodwin … Posted a 70 (-2) in the final round of the Lone State Invitational, finishing in third place at 210 (-6) … Finished in a share of 28th place with a three-day score of 219 (+3) at the Southern Highlands Collegiate … Took home fourth top-20 finish this season at the Puerto Rico Classic, finishing with a three-day total of 215 (+2). … Has six top-20 finishes in nine events.
- Blaine Hale, Junior: Earned fifth top-10 finish of the season, claiming a share of seventh with an overall 208 (-5) at The Goodwin … Finished tied for 10th place at the Lone Star Invitational as an individual … Earned three top-10 finishes in the fall, while finishing with a 72.31 stroke average … Carded a career-low 64 (-7) in the first round of the Nike Collegiate Invitational and finished the tournament tied for seventh place at 205 (-8).
- Quade Cummins, Redshirt Sophomore: Finished with an overall 209 (-4) at The Goodwin, matching his 54-hole career low … Tied for sixth place at the Lone Star Invitational, marking his second top-10 finish in his last three team events … Finished third round of the Southern Highlands Collegiate shooting a 70 (-2) after carding three birdies on the front nine.
- Garett Reband, Sophomore: Claimed a share of 24th place at 226 (+6) at the Lone Star Invitational … Competed as an individual at the Puerto Rico Classic, tying for third at 215 (-1)… Recorded a 70.60 scoring average during the fall season … Two top-5 finishes this season.
Individual: Thomas Johnson, Redshirt Sophomore: Picked up career-best finish at the Lone Star Invitational, tying for 19th at 219 (+3) ... Tied for 38th place at 221 (+5) at the Southern Highlands Collegiate … Finished with OU’s best third-rounscore at the Puerto Rico Classic, shooting 69 (-2)… Tied for 21st place at the Puerto Rico Classic carding a 217 (+4) … Competing in second team event of the season.
Individual: Rylee Reinertson, Senior: Finished with a 75 (+3) to total a 216 (E) at the Puerto Rico Classic individual tournament … Posted his lowest round at the Carmel Cup with a 70 (-2), placing 43rd … Helped the Sooners secure the 2017 national championship by going 2-1 in NCAA Championships match play, earning wins in the quarterfinal and semifinal matches.
The par-71, 7,032-yard Karsten Golf Course serves as the site for the ASU Thunderbird Invitational.
Fifty-four holes will be played over two days. The first round is scheduled to begin Saturday at 7 a.m. and the second round will follow that afternoon. The final round will be on Sunday with tee times beginning at 7 a.m.
Saturday: Sunny with a high of 82 degrees and winds from the north, northwest at 9 mph.
Sunday: Mostly sunny with a high of 90 degrees and winds from the south, southeast at 7 mph.
OU’S THUNDERBIRD INVITATIONAL HISTORY
The Sooners are competing in the ASU Thunderbird Invitational for the first time since 2012. OU has made 20 appearances at the event.
Live scoring will be available on GolfStat.com.