NORMAN – The No. 16 Oklahoma men’s tennis team took down Fresno State, 4-3, Monday at the Headington Family Tennis Center.
With the victory OU improved to 14-2 on the year, while Fresno State fell to 11-9.
The Sooners grabbed an early 1-0 lead and claimed the doubles point for the fourth straight match.
The British duo of James Davis and Max Stewart made quick work of Fresno State’s Youssef Hassan and Zdenek Derkas at the 3 spot, winning 6-3. The pair moved to 4-0 on the season.
No. 68 Ferran Calvo and Adrian Oetzbach clinched the opening point for OU with a 6-4 win over Cagatay Soke and Zander Veys, pushing their winning streak to four matches.
When play was abandoned, OU’s Alex Bakshi and Jake Van Emburgh led Cem Erturk and Mantas Bugaliskis, 5-4, from the No. 1 line and were just a point away from taking the court.
In singles, No. 106 Van Emburgh played a perfect match, rolling to a 6-0, 6-0, victory over Cem Erturk from the No. 4 line. The win marked OU’s first singles shutout of the season.
“Jake was really focused today,” said Crowell. “I think he was seeing the ball pretty big. He’s had a couple of good weeks in practice. Jake’s coming on and I’m glad to see him put up a good score like that.”
Tsorotiotis picked up his third straight win with a 6-0, 6-3 victory over Fresno State’s Henrique Osorio on court six.
No. 73 Bakshi clinched the match for the Sooners after a three-setter, going the distance with Fresno State’s Xander Veys to win 6-3, 4-6, 6-3, at the No. 1 line.
Oetzbach fell to Bugaliskis, 6-4, 6-3, on court two. Stewart was defeated by Soke, 6-3, 7-6 (5). In the second set, Stewart tied Soke at every game into the tiebreaker, but the Bulldog came out on top.
No. 62 Calvo lost a tight match to Derkas, falling, 6-2, 4-6, 6-4, on court three.
The Sooners travel to Ithaca, N.Y., Saturday for a clash with Cornell in the final non-conference match of the regular season.
For updates, follow @OU_MTennis on Twitter.
- #73 Alex Bakshi (OU) def. Xander Veys (FS) 6-3, 4-6, 6-3
- Mantas Bugailiskis (FS) def. Adrian Oetzbach (OU) 6-4, 6-3
- Zdenek Derkas (FS) def. #62 Ferran Calvo (OU) 2-6, 6-4, 6-4
- #106 Jake van Emburgh (OU) def. Cem Erturk (FS) 6-0, 6-0
- Cagatay Soke (FS) def. Max Stewart (OU) 6-3, 7-6 (7-5)
- Stefano Tsorotiotis (OU) def. Henrique Osorio (FS) 6-0, 6-3
- Alex Bakshi/Jake van Emburgh (OU) vs. Cem Erturk/Mantas Bugailiskis (FS) 5-4, unfinished
- #68 Ferran Calvo/Adrian Oetzbach (OU) def. Cagatay Soke/Xander Veys (FS) 6-4
- James Davis/Max Stewart (OU) def. Youssef Hassan/Zdenek Derkas (FS) 6-3
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (4,6,2,1,5,3)