NORMAN – The No. 49 Oklahoma women’s tennis team picked up two wins Tuesday with back-to-back shutouts of Oral Roberts at the Headington Family Tennis Center. The Sooners won the first match, 4-0, and the second, 5-0.
“We did a really good job today of maintaining our level, no matter what the score was, or the situation was, or who our opponent was,” said head coach Audra Cohen. “If the ball was moving slow, we were moving fast, and if the ball was moving fast, we were moving fast and that’s what you want to see.”
With the wins, OU improves to 10-5 overall, winning its last five matches. Oral Roberts fell to 8-10 on the season.
The Sooners opened the first match of the day with the doubles point. Freshmen Nina Jabrzemski and Camila Romero made quick work of ORU's Brenda Mercado and Valentina Gisbert, winning, 6-2, from the No. 3 line. The win was Jabrzemski’s first in spring dual-match play.
“Nina’s done such a good job of being a supportive teammate and always being there for each of the girls, so it was really nice for her to go out there and get the win as a member of the team in the match versus being on the sideline and supporting there,” said Cohen of the freshman. “She’s worked really hard for that and gained a lot of confidence over the course of the season.”
Lily Miyazaki and Jasmine Asghar sealed the point for the Sooners with a 6-4 win over Gorana Kadijevic and Jovana Antonijevic in the top spot.
When play was halted, OU's Malene Stripp and Skyler Miller led Ceijenia Cornelius and Andrea Vasijevic, 5-1, on court two.
The Sooners went into singles action with a 2-0 lead, as ORU scratched at the No. 6 line. Asghar grabbed OU’s first win with a 6-1, 6-2, victory over Vasijevic on court two, taking a 5-0 lead in the first frame before her opponent got on the board.
No. 28 Miyazaki clinched the match for the Sooners with a 6-2, 6-1 rout of Kadijevic on court one.
When play was abandoned, Stripp was just a game away from closing out Antonijevic in the second set, up 5-1 after playing a perfect first frame to win, 6-0, on court four.
Romero was locked in a first set battle with Cornelius, tied at 5-5 on court three. At No. 5, Miller was tied with Mercado at 3-3 after rolling through the first frame, 6-0.
The Sooners grabbed the opening point in the second match of the day behind wins on courts two and one. Miller and Stripp got things started with a 6-1 victory over Antonijevic and Kadijevic at No. 2 doubles.
Miyazaki and Asghar once again clinched the doubles point with a dominant 6-1 victory from the No. 1 line.
At the break, Romero and Jabrzemski led Mercado and Gisbert, 4-2, on court three.
ORU once again forfeited at the No. 6 spot, giving the Sooners a 2-0 advantage heading into singles play. Miyazaki notched the first singles win of the contest, taking down Antonijevic, 6-0, 6-2, in the No. 1 slot.
Asghar clinched for OU, making quick work of Kadijevic on court two, 6-1, 6-1. With the victory, the sophomore pushed her singles winning streak to five matches. On court three, Romero also picked up victory, handling Mercado 6-1, 6-1.
When play was halted, Stripp led ORU's Cornelius, 2-0, in set two after claiming the first, 6-3, at No. 4. Miller was up 5-2 on court five against Gisbert, where Miller won the first set, 6-0.
The Sooners resume Big 12 play with a road swing at Texas Friday at 5 p.m. CT and Baylor Sunday at 3 p.m.
For updates, follow @OU_WTennis on Twitter.
No. 49 OU 4, Oral Roberts 0
1. #28 Lily Miyazaki (OU) def. Gorana Kadijevic (ORU) 6-2, 6-1
2. Jasmine Asghar (OU) def. Andrea Vasiljevic (ORU) 6-1, 6-2
3. Camila Romero (OU) vs. Ceijenia Cornelius (ORU) 5-5, unfinished
4. Malene Stripp (OU) vs. Jovana Antonijevic (ORU) 6-0, 5-1, unfinished
5. Skyler Miller (OU) vs. Brenda Mercado (ORU) 6-0, 3-3, unfinished
6. Nina Jabrzemski (OU) def. Valentina Gisbert (ORU), by forfeit
1. Jasmine Asghar/Lily Miyazaki (OU) def. Gorana Kadijevic/Jovana Antonijevic (ORU) 6-4
2. Skyler Miller/Malene Stripp (OU) vs. Ceijenia Cornelius/Andrea Vasiljevic (ORU) 5-1, unfinished
3. Nina Jabrzemski/Camila Romero (OU) def. Valentina Gisbert/Brenda Mercado (ORU) 6-2
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1); Singles (6,2,1)
No. 49 OU 5, Oral Roberts 0
1. #28 Lily Miyazaki (OU) def. Jovana Antonijevic (ORU) 6-0, 6-2
2. Jasmine Asghar (OU) def. Gorana Kadijevic (ORU) 6-1, 6-1
3. Camila Romero (OU) def. Brenda Mercado (ORU) 6-1, 6-1
4. Malene Stripp (OU) vs. Ceijenia Cornelius (ORU) 6-3, 2-0, unfinished
5. Skyler Miller (OU) vs. Valentina Gisbert (ORU) 6-0, 5-2, unfinished
6. Nina Jabrzemski (OU) def. No player (ORU), by forfeit
1. Jasmine Asghar/Lily Miyazaki (OU) def. Ceijenia Cornelius/Andrea Vasiljevic (ORU) 6-1
2. Skyler Miller/Malene Stripp (OU) def. Jovana Antonijevic/Gorana Kadijevic (ORU) 6-1
3. Nina Jabrzemski/Camila Romero (OU) vs. Valentina Gisbert/Brenda Mercado (ORU) 4-2, unfinished
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1); Singles (6,1,2,3)