Sooners Best Iowa State, 4-0
NORMAN – The No. 50 Oklahoma women’s tennis team picked up its second conference victory Sunday with a 4-0 win over Iowa State at the Headington Family Tennis Center.
The Sooners opened the match with the doubles point against Iowa State. At No. 1 doubles, Christie Brigante and Jasmine Asghar got things started for OU with a 6-3 rout of Maty Cancini and Regina Espindola. OU's Skyler Miller and Simran Sethi made quick work of Margarita Timakova and Ekaterina Repina on court three, 6-3, to grab the point for the Sooners.
When play was abandoned, seniors Lily Miyazaki and Malene Stripp led the Cyclones' Annabella Bonadonna and Erin Freeman, 4-2, on court two.
In singles action, the Sooners grabbed wins on courts two, three and four to seal the match.
Asghar grabbed OU’s first win with a 6-3, 6-3 victory over Espindola from the No. 2 line. Asghar’s win was the third straight for the London, England, native.
Brigante pushed her winning streak to seven singles matches with a 6-0, 6-4 victory over Freeman on court three. Brigante played a perfect first set, but trailed 4-1 in the second before winning five straight games to extend OU's lead to 3-0.
Sethi clinched the match for the Sooners for the second time this weekend, defeating Iowa State's Repina, 6-4, 6-3, on court four.
When play was halted, No. 50 Miyazaki trailed Cancini, 5-4, in the second frame. The senior shutout Cancini in the first set.
Miller was down 4-3 in set two against Timakova on court six. The Sooner gave up the opening frame, 6-3.
The Sooners return to action Tuesday for a doubleheader with in-state rival Oral Roberts at the Headington Family Tennis Center. The first match will be played at noon, followed by a second round beginning at 3 p.m. CT. Admission is free.
For updates, follow @OU_WTennis on Twitter.
- #50 Lily Miyazaki (OU) vs. Maty Cancini, (ISU), 6-0, 4-5, unfinished
- Jasmine Asghar (OU) def. Regina Espindola, (ISU), 6-3, 6-3
- Christiana Brigante (OU) def. Erin Freeman, (ISU), 6-0, 6-4
- Simran Kaur Sethi (OU) def. Ekaterina Repina, (ISU), 6-4, 6-3
- Malene Stripp (OU) vs. Annabella Bonadonna, (ISU), 7-5, 4-2, unfinished
- Skyler Miller (OU) vs. Margarita Timakova (ISU), 3-6, 3-4, unfinished
- Christiana Brigante/Jasmine Asghar (OU) def. Maty Cancini/Regina Espindola (ISU), 6-3
- Lily Miyazaki/Malene Stripp (OU) vs. Annabella Bonnadonna/Erin Freeman (ISU), 4-2, unfinished
- Skyler Miller/Simran Kaur Sethi (OU) def. Margarita Timakova/Ekaterina Repina (ISU) 6-3
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3); Singles (2,3,4)