Women's Golf Back in Action Monday
NORMAN - Coming off of a record-breaking win at the Westbrook Invitational, No. 18 Oklahoma women's golf returns to action Monday at the Hurricane Invitational. The Sooners are one of 13 teams to compete in the event, held at the par-72, 6,150-yard Biltmore Golf Course in Coral Gables, Fla.
The 54-hole, three-day event tees off Monday at 6:30 a.m. CT.
Oklahoma is coming off of its first tournament win since 2014, clinching the Westbrook Invitational title last week in Peoria, Ariz. The Sooners finished the tournament with a program-record three-round score of 839 (-25). OU won the 15-team event behind freshman Kaitlin Milligan, who finished in second place with a 54-hole total of 199 (-17) – the lowest individual tournament score in OU history. A Norman native, Milligan opened the event with a 62 (-10) in the first round, marking the lowest 18-hole score in program history (previous low was 65), the best in Big 12 history and the lowest in NCAA Division I women’s golf this season.
"We're excited to get back to playing so quickly," said OU head coach Veronique Drouin-Luttrell. "This is a quick turnaround from our last event and we will look to carry over momentum from last week. We showed a great mindset in Arizona and will need to continue that this week."
Rejoining the Oklahoma lineup is junior Julienne Soo. The Australian native will be competing in her first collegiate event of the spring, missing last week’s Westbrook Invitational while participating in the Women’s Amateur Asia-Pacific Golf Championship in Singapore. Soo has four top-10 finishes this season and is averaging a team-best stroke average of 71.0.
The Sooners are joined in the field by Barry, Coastal Carolina, Florida International, Kentucky, Maryland, Mercer, No. 23 Miami, Middle Tennessee, Penn State, South Dakota State, South Florida and Virginia Tech.
Live scoring will be available on GolfStat.com.
1. Kaitlin Milligan, freshman: At the Westbrook Invitational, shot a 54-hole total of 199 (-17) – the lowest individual tournament score in OU history - to finish in second...The freshman had opened the event with a 62 (-10) in Sunday’s first round, marking the lowest 18-hole score in program history (previous low was 65), the best in Big 12 history and the lowest in NCAA Division I women’s golf this season...In just her third tournament in the lineup...Finished in a tie for 13th with a 214 (+1) at the Battle at the Beach...Tied for 16th at the Schooner Fall Classic with a 1-under (212)…The first OU freshman to earn a top-20 finish since current seniors Ana Ruiz and Hannah Wood in 2014.
2. Ana Ruiz, senior: Coming off of back-to-back top-10 finishes…Took eighth place at the Westbrook Invitational with a 210 (-6) in her fifth career top-10 finish…Secured sixth place with a 210 (-3) in Battle at the Beach…Opened the season with a score of 212 (-1) to tie for 18th at the Jim West Challenge…Owns 10 career top-20 finishes and five top-10 finishes.
3. Hannah Wood, senior: Picked up her 20th career top-20 finish by placing 20th at the Westbrook Invitational…Named Big 12 Co-Golfer of the Month in November after leading the Sooners to a second-place finish in the Battle at the Beach in Cabo San Lucas, Mexico (Nov. 3-5) in the team's only November tournament...Shot a 4-under 209 in Cabo to tie for fourth place and secure her second top-10 finish of the fall season...Earned sixth place at the 2017 Schooner Fall Classic while playing as an individual...Shot a 209 (-4) in the Schooner.
4. Julienne Soo, junior: Captured her fourth top-10 finish of the year, tying for sixth at Battle at the Beach with a 210 (-3) to close the fall portion of the schedule...Tied for ninth place with a 2-under 214 at the Maryb S. Kauth Invitational…Named the Big 12 Women’s Golfer of the Month for the month of September after recording two top-10 finishes and shooting under par in five of six rounds...Her 204 (-9) at the season-opening Jim West Challenge is the third-lowest 54-hole score in program history .Secured ninth place at the Schooner Fall Classic with a 3-under 210…Dating back to last season, has finished at par or better in 31 of her last 48 rounds…Boasts 10 top-10 finishes in her career, all of which have come in her last 15 tournaments.
5. Rylee Pedigo, senior: Her fourth start of the season…Clinched 49th at Battle at the Beach with a 224 (+11)...Competed in nine of 11 team events last season, finishing with a 75.56 (+3.67) stroke average...Fired a season-best 216 (E) to share 13th at the 2017 Florida State Match Up, highlighted by a career-best 67 (-5) in the final round...Owns four career top-20 finishes and two top-10 finishes...Claimed second place in the 2016 Clover Cup after shooting 211 (-5).
Individual Competitor - Valerie Tanguay, senior: Tied a career-low round score of 69 (-2) in the second round of the season-opening Jim West Challenge…Tied for 26th at the Jim West Challenge with a 216 (+3)… Has finished in the top 20 of both previous Schooner Fall Classic appearances, taking 17th in 2016 (213, even) and tying for 19th in 2015 (143, +1)…Played in all 11 team events last season, putting together a 73.42 (+1.52) season-stroke average…Owns seven career top-20 finishes, including one ninth-place finish.