No. 4 OU Set for Southern Highlands Collegiate
NORMAN – The No. 4 Oklahoma men’s golf team returns to action this week as it heads to Las Vegas, Nev., for the Southern Highlands Collegiate. The three-day, 54-hole tournament will be played Monday-Wednesday (March 5-7) at the par-72, 7,510-yard Southern Highlands Golf Club.
The 15-team field includes four squads ranked in the GolfStat top 10 and eight in the top 25. OU is back in action after opening its spring season with a second-place finish at the Puerto Rico Classic. The Sooners opened the event with their second-best team round of the season, shooting 274 (-10).
Redshirt sophomore Quade Cummins paced the Sooners in Puerto Rico, earning a share of third place at 209 (-4). Cummins’ third-place tied a career best. Senior Grant Hirschman claimed his fourth top-20 finish of the year with a three-round score of 215 (+2).
Hirschman tied for first place at last year’s Southern Highland Collegiate, posting a three-day total of 210 (-6).
The Sooners’ lineup at the Southern Highlands Collegiate will feature Hirschman and junior Brad Dalke, redshirt sophomores Cummins and Thomas Johnson and sophomore Garett Reband.
(GOLFSTAT RANKINGS IN PARENTHESES)
Texas Tech (10)
1. Grant Hirschman, Senior: Took home fourth top-20 finish this season at the Puerto Rico Classic, finishing with a three-day total of 215 (+2) … Tied for second in the stroke play portion of the East Lake Cup with a 73 (+1) … Took eighth in the opening event of the year, shooting 206 (-10) at the Carmel Cup … Followed up by tying for 10th place at the Gopher Invitational in OU’s last event.
2. Brad Dalke, Junior: Named to the watch list for the 2018 Ben Hogan Award … Recorded a 69.85 stroke average during the fall season … Has recorded six top-10 finishes in his last eight events dating back to last season … Tied for seventh place at the Nike Golf Collegiate Invitational, carding all three rounds in the 60s… Took eighth place at the Gopher Invitational … Carded two rounds in the 60s at the Carmel Cup, tying for 11th at 208 (-8).
3. Quade Cummins, Redshirt Sophomore: Earned a share of third place carding a 209 (-4) at the Puerto Rico Classic, marking his second career top-5 finish… Appeared in two events, once in the team lineup at the Gopher Invitational ... Tallied a 71 (E) in the third round of the Gopher Invitational.
4. Thomas Johnson, Redshirt Sophomore: Finished with OU’s best third-round score at the Puerto Rico Classic, shooting 69 (-2)… Tied for 21st place at the Puerto Rico Classic carding a 217 (+4) … Competing in second team event of the season.
5. Garett Reband, Sophomore: Competed as an individual at the Puerto Rico Classic, tying for third at 215 (-1)… Recorded a 70.60 scoring average during the fall season … Recorded four birdies during the final round of the Nike Collegiate Invitational and finished tied for 23rd place at 211 (-2) … Had career-best weekend at the Carmel Cup, taking third place at 203 (-13), his first top-5 finish at OU.
The Southern Highlands Collegiate will be played at the par-72, 7,510-yard Southern Highlands Golf Club for all three rounds.
The tournament features 54-hole stroke play with the low four scores counted each round for the team total with 18 holes played each day. Individual ties will be broken by sudden-death playoff.
OU is paired with Texas Tech and Illinois. Monday's round will begin at 11:50 a.m. CT.
Monday: Sunny with a high of 61 degrees and wind from the north-northeast at 8 mph.
Tuesday: Mostly sunny with a high of 65 degrees and wind from the northeast at 6 mph.
Wednesday: Partly cloudy with a high of 70 degrees and wind from the east-northeast at 5 mph.
OU’s SOUTHERN HIGHLANDS COLLEGIATE HISTORY
This marks the Sooners’ sixth consecutive appearance in the tournament. The Sooners’ last played the event in 2017 when OU placed seventh with a three-round 286 (-2). Grant Hirschman competed as an individual finishing in share of first place carding a three-round total of 210 (-6). OU's best finish came in 2015, taking second place.
Live scoring is available on GolfStat.com.