OU Drops Road Contest at Tulsa
TULSA, Okla. – The Oklahoma women’s tennis team faced its first loss in five matches when the Sooners fell to No. 41 Tulsa Saturday, 6-1.
Oklahoma moves to 5-5 on the year. Tulsa improves to 12-2.
"We competed hard and had an opportunity to win on each court. We just couldn't seem to outrun our slow start in the first sets. We needed to believe we had an opportunity to beat them from the first point, and we sort of waited until they handed us belief," said head coach Audra Cohen. "Moving forward we have to realize from these matches that we have the tools to beat top teams, and we have to be willing to believe in them resiliently from start to finish."
The Sooners gave up the doubles point to open the match. Christie Brigante and Jasmine Asghar faced their first loss as a pair when they were defeated by Ksenia Laskutova and Martha Matoula, 6-1, on court one.
Malene Stripp and Skyler Miller fell to Vera Ploner and Martina Okalova, 6-1. When play was halted, Romero and Sethi trailed Tamara Kupkova and Rouxanne van Rensburgh, 5-3.
Brigante notched the Sooners’ sole singles win of the day, taking down Tamara Kupkova, 2-6, 6-3, 6-0, on court three. The senior gave up the first set, but surged back to take the second frame. Brigante rolled through the third set to capture the court and pick up her fifth consecutive win this season.
On court two, Asghar was defeated by No. 95 Okalova after a battle, 7-5, 7-6 (1).
Sethi fell to Matoula, 7-5, 6-4, on court five. Romero was defeated by Ploner, 4-6, 6-0, 6-3, from the No. 5 line.
Stripp battled van Rensburgh to a third set, but came up just short, 6-2, 4-6, 6-4.
No. 26 Miyazaki fell to Laskutova, 6-4, 1-6, 7-5, on court one. In the first set, Miyazaki trailed 4-0 before putting four games on the board. The senior rolled through the second frame, giving up just one game to force a third set, and battled Laskutova to the wire.
The Sooners travel to Orlando to face North Carolina State Friday at 11 a.m. CT. The match will be played at the USTA National Campus.
For updates, follow @OU_WTennis on Twitter.
- Ksenia Laskutova (TU) def. #26 Lily Miyazaki (OU), 6-4, 1-6, 7-5
- #95 Martina Okalova (TU) def. Jasmine Asghar (OU), 7-5, 7-6 (1).
- Christiana Brigante (OU) def. Tamara Kupkova (TU), 2-6, 6-3, 6-0
- Martha Matoula (TU) def. Simran Sethi (OU), 7-5, 6-4
- Vera Ploner (TU) def. Camila Romero (OU), 4-6, 6-0, 6-3
- Rouxanne van Rensburgh (TU) def. Malene Stripp (OU), 6-2, 4-6, 6-4.
- Ksenia Laskutova/Martha Matoula (TU) def. Christiana Brigante/Jasmine Asghar (OU), 6-1
- Vera Ploner/Martina Okalova (TU) def. Malene Stripp/Skyler Miller (OU), 6-1.
- Simran Sethi/Camila Romero (OU) vs. Tamara Kupkova/Rouxanne van Rensburgh (TU), unfinished